GO!

Throwing up Bile?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Loki

Barked: Wed Mar 10, '10 8:18am PST 
My almost 5 yr old Min Pin has thrown up bile the last two night. She sleeps with us at the bottom of the bed, under her own light weight cover. Around 5 am she jumps out of bed and throws up bile. She never has food left in her stomach by the time she throws up. She has done this in the past, but it hasn't happened in about 5 months. I thought she might be over heating under the covers and getting sick. Any ideas? Should we take her to the vet? She is fine other wise, no change in appetite or energy level.

Edited by author Wed Mar 10, '10 8:25am PST

[notify]
Coco

Give me some- luving....lol

Barked: Sun Mar 14, '10 6:38pm PST 
It could be acid buildup in the tummy. Maybe needs a little snack before bed to prevent the acid build up? If it continues I would def call the Vet. It's better to be safe than sorry. Feel Better!
[notify]
Abby Gail

Barked: Sun Apr 25, '10 7:23am PST 
Although a little snack before bed might do the trick (I have read that will work also and I do it), I would take your pet to the vet and have a blood test done to check his/her liver values. Abby is 9 and we just went through that exact scenario and after multiple tests, she had a gall stone and an infected gall bladder that had to be removed. In the beginning, her stomach was enlarged as well but that was probably due to everything else that was going on because after antibiotics and prilosec, her stomach was fine. It's so important to catch it early because if it is the gall bladder/stones, it can damage the liver. She had surgery and everything worked out very well but we do have a compromised liver that will need to be monitored the rest of her life. I hope everything works out and it is not what we had but I saw your post and wanted to share. I am searching for answers myself as she also has allergies to complicate. I won't allow her on any type of steroid (not with her liver condition and it's only a bandaid anyway). She was on Atopica for 3 years before the gall bladder issue and I'm getting conflicting answers from the vet and dermatologist as to whether Atopica is safe to continue for her liver. The vet says no and recommended Temeril P and the derm who has been using Atopica for over 10 years says it's safer than any type of steroid (which she uses on some her patients also). What to do?
[notify]