GO!

New Puppy = House breaking fun!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chloe

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 9:08am PST 
My name is Chloe. I am a teacup min pin, 11 weeks old and currently weigh 2 lbs and 11 oz. I was adopted by my new mommy and daddy on Sunday!

My mommy was told not to let me outside until my shots were completed. The vet later told mommy that I was okay to go outside to use the potty. Before the vet gave her the okay, she started me using puppy pads in the house. Within my first day I already got the hang of it!

Mommy read an article after the vet ok'd me to go outside that said to move the puppy pad closer to the door and finally outside. Mommy moved the pad next to the door, but I still get a little confused.

Yesterday she started taking me outside for walks and to look at the puppy pad outside, but I don't want to go potty yet. There's so much going on; wind, leaves, cars, bikes, other puppies. We even went on a long walk around the block but I held it until we got back inside.

Is my mommy doing the right thing? I want to make her happy, but I'm not sure what to do. How can I transfer my quickly learned good habits to go outside? Will it take me long?

Thank you! blue dog
[notify]
Chloe

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 12:45pm PST 
I just peed outside for the first time! cheer

Mommy was so happy! If you have any more suggestions, that would be fabulous!
[notify]
Sushi

World Traveler!

Barked: Fri Feb 12, '10 3:02pm PST 
Im really no help to your question since Sushi is being pee pad trained. BUT!! I wanted to say your little girl is super cute and about the same size as my Sushi! She will be 11wks sunday and weighs 2.8lbs smile

Edited by author Fri Feb 12, '10 3:03pm PST

[notify]

Gibbon

I came. I saw.- I conquered!

Barked: Mon Feb 22, '10 9:25pm PST 
Well both of you are so adorable!!!! And so excited that you peed for the first time outside!

Are you using both pee pads and going outside? Here are some rules that helped me. I had to learn the same way and we live in a 5 floor walk up!!! Mom really made sure that I learned! BOL! But also just remember that Min Pins are one of the hardest to potty train. Why? I have no idea. Maybe cause we are so stubborn! BOL!

Rule 1: when you transition to outside, yes, you use the pee pads closer to the door but I am talking about inch by inch to the door every day. move it one inch. We don't like things to be so completely out of sorts too quickly.

Rule 2: When you take her out, do it first thing in the morning cause that's when we like to really pee! Also right after we eat! If you use a crate, place her in the crate if you are not ready to let her go out yet.

Rule 3: Routine! Routine! Make sure you have a routine. Watch her when she likes to go potty. She already has a schedule. When it's around the time you know she wants to go, then take her out. If she doesn't go, place her in the crate for 5 or 10 min and then take her out again. No crate? then tie her lead to you so you can watch her and she doesn't go off and pee. Then wait the 5 or 10 min and take her out again.

Rule 4: Still having issues having her go? When you take a pee pad out, do you take a clean one or one she already peed on. use the latter, it helps!

Rule 5: Never scold if she already went inside, just take her out right after.

Rule 6: You also don't want her to take a long time to go when you take her out, that means you want her to go within the minute she goes out. Best way to teach her is to always take her to a place soemwhere by your door that is convenient and ocmfortable for you. walk her in that area only. Every time she goes, praise, treat and reward with a walk. if she doesn't, go to rule 3 with no treat or praise or walk. And repeat this rule.

Rule 7: As stated in rule 6, when she does go, be sure to praise her, but don't squeal in delight, it might frighten her and she'll stop. BOL! And then treat, and go for a fun walk. She will realize that if she goes outside, great things happen! Min Pins are smart, they will get that quick. Wait until she poops ouotside, you'll want to give her a parade!!!! haha!

Good luck and hope that helps you!
[notify]
Gibbon

I came. I saw.- I conquered!

Barked: Mon Feb 22, '10 9:25pm PST 
Well both of you are so adorable!!!! And so excited that you peed for the first time outside!

Are you using both pee pads and going outside? Here are some rules that helped me. I had to learn the same way and we live in a 5 floor walk up!!! Mom really made sure that I learned! BOL! But also just remember that Min Pins are one of the hardest to potty train. Why? I have no idea. Maybe cause we are so stubborn! BOL!

Rule 1: when you transition to outside, yes, you use the pee pads closer to the door but I am talking about inch by inch to the door every day. move it one inch. We don't like things to be so completely out of sorts too quickly.

Rule 2: When you take her out, do it first thing in the morning cause that's when we like to really pee! Also right after we eat! If you use a crate, place her in the crate if you are not ready to let her go out yet.

Rule 3: Routine! Routine! Make sure you have a routine. Watch her when she likes to go potty. She already has a schedule. When it's around the time you know she wants to go, then take her out. If she doesn't go, place her in the crate for 5 or 10 min and then take her out again. No crate? then tie her lead to you so you can watch her and she doesn't go off and pee. Then wait the 5 or 10 min and take her out again.

Rule 4: Still having issues having her go? When you take a pee pad out, do you take a clean one or one she already peed on. use the latter, it helps!

Rule 5: Never scold if she already went inside, just take her out right after.

Rule 6: You also don't want her to take a long time to go when you take her out, that means you want her to go within the minute she goes out. Best way to teach her is to always take her to a place soemwhere by your door that is convenient and ocmfortable for you. walk her in that area only. Every time she goes, praise, treat and reward with a walk. if she doesn't, go to rule 3 with no treat or praise or walk. And repeat this rule.

Rule 7: As stated in rule 6, when she does go, be sure to praise her, but don't squeal in delight, it might frighten her and she'll stop. BOL! And then treat, and go for a fun walk. She will realize that if she goes outside, great things happen! Min Pins are smart, they will get that quick. Wait until she poops ouotside, you'll want to give her a parade!!!! haha!

Good luck and hope that helps you!
[notify]