GO!

Some people say I can't be a Min Pin

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Penny, I- Miss You- Sooo Much

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 8:56am PST 
My dog Penny is an 11 yr old Miniature Pinscher. She has papers. I saw her mother and litter mate when I picked her out. She looks like a Min Pin, black and tan, except for the fact that she is bigger than the teeny tiny dogs most people are used to seeing. She's taller and just bigger. Besides that, she's all Min Pin in appearance, personality, and prancing gait.

I ran into a man who said his friend bred Min Pins and every once in a while they would get a litter that was bigger than the typical Min Pin.

Penny was obese for a while but has lost most of that weight. That is part of the reason why she appears bigger, but she is taller and her frame is bigger than most Min Pins I see.

When asked what kind of dog she is, I have had people tell me that there is no way she could be a Min Pin, that she must be mixed with something else.

Is it possible that she is a full Min Pin, just bigger than the standard?
[notify]
Connah Mara

Wait... what do- you mean I'm a- dog?

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 4:56pm PST 
Now the people who are telling you this what are their creditials to be offering such an opinion? Are they breeders? Breed Judges? Dog Historians? Scientist? Or maybe they are just people who have seen a picture or a dog on the side walk once or twice in their lives?

Chances are they are the latter. You said you spoke with someone that was familure with min pin breeding and he said that was something that does and can happen.

Also, what do you know about the breeder Is your pooch AKC? KC? or other registered? If so what are the criteria for registering your pups pedigree?

I'm not knowledgable enough about the min pin breed to offer you my opinion by looks alone. But I have common sense enough that can help me deduct with reasonable certainty, based on the info that you provided. I think you can too big grin
[notify]

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 6:35am PST 
Thanks for your response. Penny is AKC registered.
[notify]

Murphy

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 10:04am PST 
Penny looks Min Pin to me. The thing with this breed though is there's a definite breed standard for "showing" min pins, and then there are all the people with two min pins who have puppies, then take them and sell them in front of the local grocery store, or on craigslist, who aren't breeding for specific features.

When that happens, you can get any variety of traits that stray from the "breed standard", which after a few litters, can start to look vastly different.

Some people often mistake Manchester Terriers and Toy Manchester Terriers for Min Pins too, but they have longer snouts, and more slender builds than Min Pins.

Whether Penny is full 100% Min Pin can be debated back and forth, cause there could be some other random terrier blood in her veins. Or - and this is not a slight on Penny at all, because i'm sure she's a lovely dog - she could just be the product of sloppy breeding.

But like I said, she looks Min Pin to me smile And what a cutie...
[notify]

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 12:15pm PST 
Yeah, I know about the difference between getting a dog of a breed for a pet and getting a dog of show standard. That is what I try to explain to people - she's a Min Pin but is bigger than the standard. That and the weight she gained (and then lost) because of her hypothyroidism.
When I found Penny I was only interested in getting a Min Pin as a companion and not to show. I would have picked her regardless and am very glad I did. cloud 9

Edited by author Mon Sep 21, '09 12:18pm PST

[notify]
Fynnigan

Barked: Thu Oct 1, '09 5:37pm PST 
She could be Manchester Terrier.

They look pretty much identical to the Miniature Pinscher except the standard MT is larger in size.

Unfortunately AKC papers mean next to nothing in regards to verifying breed, DOB, etc. They can easily be doctured and there is no one to verify such information.
[notify]
Kennen,- rainbow- bridge

tough little man

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 10:57am PST 
yes penny you are a min pin!!!

I'm 20lbs, big for a min pin, and my owners had mom and dad, and saw me being born.

so dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
[notify]
Luna

Luna Beast

Barked: Sat Dec 5, '09 8:37pm PST 
I have a min pin and she is huge! All the ones I see are so tiny. She weighs 21 pounds. She is over weight, but still way bigger than any others i've seen. You're not alone dancing
[notify]
Remy

I'm a snuggler!

Barked: Mon Dec 7, '09 11:44am PST 
Glad to hear there are some bigger min pins out there....I weigh 25 pounds and the vet says I'm only 4-5 pounds overweight for my stature. My mom says I have all the features and personality traits of min pins, I'm just a big guy!
[notify]
MooMoo

Barked: Thu Dec 10, '09 10:00pm PST 
Remy is ADORABLE!! I see that he is a snuggler..My Min pin is a HUGE snuggler..and she is chunky so it makes it better..lol..
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2