GO!

New to Miniature Pinschers, any advice?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rocco

King Kim

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 11:56pm PST 
So we've taken in a Miniature Pinscher named Rocco who belongs to my brother in law. Rocco was treated as an accessory and so has received zero training over the last year. He is living with us because Animal Control recieved noise complaints and finally gave my bro in law a final notice. My bro in law decided to give him up to the animal shelter.... well... we have a bit of a soft spot for this poor pup and think somewhere inside him is a great dog... we're still looking. wink

That said. He is unaltered (we've agreed not to get it done for the time being which was conditional- don't ask me why since he was willing to surrender him). He does have an undescended testicle (not serious, right?). He definitely has some major dominance issues. He's marked several spots in my house and is continually humping my other altered dogs. The barking has already improved and we've been teaching him a "quiet" command. He is also learning to sleep in a crate (it was a long night). His leash training is also nonexistant, so we're working on that as well...

so, any suggestions or advice? I'll admit I am a dedicated Boxer fanatic. I have 3 Boxer's and a Shih Tzu now who are reasonably well behaved. I understand off-leash training is not smart with this breed, but have any of you had success with this? All my dogs have a strong recall and we've been working heavily on a simple "come" command with him.

So. Hello. Nice to meet you all and thanks in advance!
Rocco's new mom
[notify]
Rocco

King Kim

Barked: Sat Jul 11, '09 12:16am PST 
in regards to one of my questions about his undescended teste, I answered my own question by searching online and learning that they are 13x more likely to develop cancer! I'll be lobbying even more heavily for his neuter.
[notify]
Misty

more Cheeto's- please.......

Barked: Mon Jul 13, '09 8:10pm PST 
leaving a male intact that has an undecending testie makes no sense. He cannot be used for breeding and based on his behavior if neutered he would slow down on the marking and probably be less vocal. Being that your bro n law is no longer responsible for the dog but you are, I would have him neutered to help prolonging the inevitable so that you can get a better chance of correcting some of his mis behavior. I have 13 Pins and still occasionally breed as well as rescue. I have been involved with this breed for far more time than seems I can remember. Good luck.
[notify]

Rocco

King Kim

Barked: Tue Jul 14, '09 9:16pm PST 
as far as the neutering is concerned, I have to leave that decision up to my husband, who as of now, is not willing to go against his brother on that until his brother is certain that he doesn't want Rocco back.

I've done a lot of research on this breed now, so I'm understanding a lot of this behavior is really pretty much the breed. That said, most the sites I've seen say they're easily trained, so we're working on it. It's getting better already. He has bad behavior, but he's not as stubborn as my other dogs- he just needs to know how to please us... so things are definitely looking up.
[notify]