GO!

Joint Pain/Arthritis?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '08 9:43pm PST 
So Zelda has been limping a little for the past few weeks. We went to the vet and he couldn't find anything that felt broken or sprained, or anything stuck in her paw to explain the pain. It's possible she twisted it and it hasn't healed but the vet mentioned it could be juvenile arthritis. Has anyone else had this problem? I mean, Min Pins do have those long skinny legs, I can see how they would be susceptible to problems.

It's not bad enough pain for her to yelp or cry, and believe me, Z is a drama queen (she screamed when she got her microchip) so if it hurt really badly, she'd let me know. But the limping worries me.

Vet gave us a week's worth of pain medicine but it's not doing anything. Besides, I wouldn't want to have Zelda on meds long-term.
[notify]
Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '08 9:54pm PST 
I should add that I've started giving Zelda glucosamine and condriotin.
[notify]
Luna

Lemme at 'em!

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 3:33pm PST 
You may want to read up on LCP (Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease). Here's a bit I got from another site:

Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease (LCP Disease) is a congenital (present at birth) degeneration of the bone end that occurs in young miniature and small breeds of dogs and results with reduced blood supply to the affected bone. The symptoms usually include hindlimb lameness and pain in the hip joint.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/legg-calve-perthes -disease.aspx

although minpins are on the low end (i believe) of genetically inherited diseases (among other toy breeds), they do have a couple that people should keep an eye out on. I believe that LCP can only be genetically tested for (on the parents).

For this reason, we made sure before we brought Luna that her parents were tested and cleared for LCP, PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) and patella luxation, although only professional breeders might get their dogs genetically tested (as it costs very much.)

best of luck!
[notify]

Luna

Lemme at 'em!

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '08 3:42pm PST 
You may want to read up on LCP (Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease). Here's a bit I got from another site:

Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease (LCP Disease) is a congenital (present at birth) degeneration of the bone end that occurs in young miniature and small breeds of dogs and results with reduced blood supply to the affected bone. The symptoms usually include hindlimb lameness and pain in the hip joint.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/legg-calve-perthes -disease.aspx

although minpins are on the low end (i believe) of genetically inherited diseases (among other toy breeds), they do have a couple that people should keep an eye out on. I believe that LCP can only be genetically tested for (on the parents).

For this reason, we made sure before we brought Luna that her parents were tested and cleared for LCP, PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) and patella luxation, although only professional breeders might get their dogs genetically tested (as it costs very much.)

best of luck!
[notify]