GO!

Brooklyn/NYC Pups?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Sat May 5, '07 8:51am PST 
I posted this to Dogster Local, but no one's said anything, so I'm cross posting it here.

Hey! My family will be moving to Brooklyn this summer, and we want to know everything possible about living there with two dogs (one puppy, one geriatric big grin) . Finding housing isn't too big a deal, we aren't expecting a problem (both are small and housetrained, neither are "dangerous" breeds, etc), so really we want to know the other stuff. What dog parks are the best? How friendly are places to animals (again, keeping in mind they are small and sweet)? Are there good pet stores that I should know about? What about dogs and cabs/subways? Basically, anything that you can think to tell me about moving to Brooklyn (or NYC in general) with doggies I want to know!! Thanks in advance!

I've been to New York before, but I pretty much stayed in Manhattan.
[notify]
Gibbon

I came. I saw.- I conquered!

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 9:03pm PST 
I'm a Manhattanite so I wish i could tell you more about Brooklyn 0 I think prospect park is pretty cool.

But when you come - p-mail me and there is a min pin meet up at Washington Square Park in the Village - you can meet lots of mins there and we meet the first saturday every month! You will love it here! I can usually get into a cab with no problem - sometimes cabs pass us but one always picks us up. My Dad has never had an issue on the subway with me either. Normally, pups should be in carriers in both types of transportation but it's pretty relaxed.

I love Stuy Dog Run on 15th and 2nd but it's only open in the mornings and evenings. Tompkins Square is great too. Be sure to go to the Halloween Dog Parade there - it's amazing!!!!!

Welcome to NY!!!!way to go
[notify]
Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 10:46pm PST 
Thanks Gibbon! I will definitely try to make it to some Min Pin meet ups, I think it would be great for Zelda. I knew the rules about the subway (after posting that I found it online somewhere), so I figured I will have to invest in a pretty good carrier (Zelda has outgrown the one I bought her already - and we've never actually used it, gotta love growing puppies - it was too big when we got her).

I also noticed online that the only Petsmart is on Staten Island, but there is a Petco in Brooklyn. I also figure there will be a LOT more private, small pet shops than in Savannah (where there are NONE). I only care because Petsmart is where Zelda has done her Puppy and Intermediate classes. I'm sure that any place has a comparable class to the Advanced level.

I still appreciate any tips anyone wants to give me. I've been doing more research online since I posted this, but that doesn't give you everything. I'm sure there are some things you can only get from people who are living there.

Thanks! dog
[notify]