GO!

Minis, toys or standards? Should there be a distinction?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Canberra

aussiesfirst

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '07 5:10am PST 
Hey since there seems to couple of members in this forum....What do you think? Did you do your research for the dogs you currently have? Did you own aussies before this one? Should they be accepted by the AKC? Should there be a size variation like the poodle? Or should the smaller aussie just not be able to be recognized by the AKC? Should they be shown in conformation? Agility? Anything?
what do you guys think? Please share.
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '07 3:04pm PST 
Mihkoa is a small aussie... she is 27lbs and 17 1/4" at the withers. She competes in agility, and is registered as an "Australian Shepherd". She may be small... but I believe that small can do just as well at many things as the large. Spirit is like 18" and 37lbs. Still fits in the Aussie standard. I believe toy aussies are a disgrace. They are in no way shape or form an aussie, but a mix that barely looks like one... oh with its tail cut off. I believe that 15" dogs and up should be just called Australian Shepherds. They were all bred for the same purpose. In NO WAY can a 5lb pomeranian chi/whatever mix herd sheep. Thats what the breed is for. Ive seen small aussies herd sheep just as well as the large ones. I believe that the dog needs to be able to serve its purpose. I dont believe toys should even be called shepherds or any sort.... what would the HERD?!?! And I bet you a million bucks they dont have any drive to herd anyway, because they arent related to the aussie. There have always been large aussies and small aussies. I sometimes call my aussies minis... as a slip.... because they are just so small. BUT, all in all, large or small... they are aussies bred for the same purpose. If they want to split the breed into 2... there will still be larger dogs with small pups in the litter... so is it then an aussie or a mini? Like mihkoa for example... she is very small... her parents were 'medium/normal' sized. I think by calling them mini's under a certain height wouldnt do much good only because like i said large dogs can produce smallish pups... then what? so I think it would just be to hard. Dont get me wrong. I volunteer for Mini Aussie Rescue... I like it because I get the smaller aussies. smile They are just right... size wise for us and our home. Mini or 'normal' i love the breed... and think they are fantastic! Toys... i think are a joke.
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '07 10:24pm PST 
MIHKOA, hailapplause very well said.
[notify]

Clover

G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-- S

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '07 5:21pm PST 
here here! i agree about the toy thing as well - they don't even look like aussies except the colors they come in I guess...

I call my girl a mini because that's how she's registered with the ASDR, not with the AKC. I kind of wish my breeder would just register them as standards that are just on the smaller side because that's what they are but oh well - I love my girl and I got my "mini" for the same reason - she's a better fit for our household than a larger standard would have been.

Cheers, Clover's mommy
[notify]
Canberra

aussiesfirst

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 11:15am PST 
Well guys I have to disagree that the toy cannot herd. I am only 15 inches at the shoulder and am considered a mini. My half brother is a toy 13 inches at the shoulder. My 2 legger really needs to get video of us together! We herd horses, kids, chickens (sometimes successfully) and each other! We have a 12.5 inch new rescue sister that is a toy and will try to get pictures posted. Yes absolutely some of the micro toys do not have an aussie temperament, drive or look. A 'true' toy is not cross bred or really bred down just a smaller version from a smaller version. The same standard as any aussie just a size variation. Just like someone said easier for their size. Believe me the attitude still exist in the aussies that live with me!big grin
[notify]
Bubba

Is it play time- yet!!

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 7:43am PST 
I think the AKC should allow them in. They are an aussie and can do the same work a standard can do. It is people who make the rules so why can't the people change them if enough other people pressure them in the right way. The only thing that keeps mini Aussie out is the old saying "We never allowed that before". Its a new time and we need to step up to the plate and make them hear us.
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 1:51pm PST 
The AKC won't recognize them because ASCA doesn't.

To be honest, most people who sell "mini" & "toy" Aussies are not good breeders (note I said MOST) they are trying to get away with the smaller the better... Sure you dog can herd and do all that stuff, but is really breeding that small GOOD for the dogs? Is a 15lb Aussie a good choice to put into a pen with Cows? Sheep?

The Aussie was bred to be a medium size for a reason... What is the reason for the small ones? I am talking about the ones that are 15lbs... Is it just for people who want the look of an Aussie? Because your dog can "have the attitude" but that doesn't mean he/she can do what the Aussie was bred to do.

Breeders are supposed to IMPROVE the breed, how is breeding them down to 10-15lbs improving anything? What it is doing is making there job HARDER and almost impossible to do.

Edited by author Mon Jan 21, '08 1:52pm PST

[notify]
Kate

Bunny Bottom

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '08 5:39pm PST 
I think that it would be nice if the minis like me were recongnized by the AKC. The only problem is that so many are not purebred they are mixes of Sheltie and other small dogs. It would be difficult to select some and not others. If they have a back ground of Austrailian only I think it may be okay. Or maybe a % of ansestory that is not Aussie. (Like they do in the Paint Horses).
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '08 6:32pm PST 
see... my mom is small... she is only 19"... my dad is about 20"... and taddaa... then there is me at 17 1/4". Im petite for the standard, but I can still throw my weight. to me a 10lb 'aussie' cant herd a thing. I mean... its so small! Im not saying that if someone wanted to make a new seperate completely different breed to make a toy look alike aussie, then fine, but it should never be called an aussie. i mean, i saw one day, it was a pomeranian mix, perhaps with an aussie... it was like 5lbs. RIDICULOUS!! Ive seen mini's at 13" herd sheep... but a chihuahua sized 'aussie' is pointless. its not an aussie and should NEVER be considered such. I mean seriously, this lady was carrying it around like a chi, and it was about 6" tall! WHAT THE HECK IS THAT????? It blew me away when she told me it was a toy aussie....
[notify]
Josie

Have cat will- herd

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 7:02am PST 
I think they should be accepted by AKC in size categories like poodles or beagles. They have the same drive as a standard size ausse so why not be treated with the same respect.snoopy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4