GO!

Maltese Haircuts

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

PINK

Pink is her- favorite singer

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '08 12:39pm PST 
What is the best way to cut my dog's hair?
[notify]
Francie Rose

Cutie Pie

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '08 5:55pm PST 
The best idea would be to take her to a professional groomer a couple of times to get her used to being clipped then ask for some tips on doing her yourself. There are some good books on grooming and websites, but first, take her to a professional.

Angie & Francie
[notify]
Royal- Bentley- Deeogee

Rest In Peace- Sparky

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '08 9:04pm PST 
I am a dog groomer and Royal Bentley Deeogee is one of my dogs. He is also a Maltese. I have clipped Maltese many, many times. Well a Maltese should be in full coat to show it's beauty off. Although if you choose to do so any most pet owners Don't choose this option it's up to you. Maltese is a high maintance dog. If you want a beautiful dog and want him to look his very best then in full coat you will acheive this. This means dedication and time......Lots of it.big grin He needs a bath every 7-10 days. The longer his hair gets the longer it will take you to groom him. Bentley is in full coat. He is 18 months old and cut short once and never ever again. When he wakes in the morning he goes potty and then EVERY MORNING and I mean EVERY I put him on his table and spray all his coat down with Bio Groom Mink Oil. It is not greasy and then I COMB not brush his hair from head to toe. Between his legs his backside, tail everywhere. I take his top knots out and re do them. I clean his eys EVERY day with Opticlear. His eyelashes are trimmed short. Every 2 weeks I clip his belly and backside, Sanitary cut, and in between his pads, round his feet off, clip his nails, pluck his ears and clean them and dry him for 90 minutes in layers. SOme day I sware I am going to cut it all off but once he is done he is B E A U T I F U L !!! I don't let him walk the streets. He is white and I like him to stay white. If you have a yard with grass it will be harder to keep him clean.

If you want to keep him in a puppy cut he can be clipped with a #3 blade or hand clipped. You still need to comb him every day but it will be easier.

I've seen Maltese cut in a Cocker Spaniel cut and it's a bit of both combined. The hair on top is short but you get to keep the lenght on the skirt.

I've seen a few ex show dogs with a short body from the base of the neck to the base of the tail cut with a #5 or $ blade and the legs, tail, and face stood long. I love this clip.....

I have done where I clipped the legs completelly off upoin owners request and left the rest........

I've seen them in a lion cut. Full in front and no hair on rear..........

You see it's up to you and how much time you want and can spend on your pet. In full coat I can't keep a cute tee shirt on Bentley as he will knot within a few hours..........I only know one person in my neighborhood who also has her pet in full coat. I love them that way but it's not for everyone. I am not sure how old your pet is but Bentley was trained since I have him at 5 months to be handled and he don't mind the grooming.............PS don't forget to brush those teeth. All very small toy breeds need there teeth brushed every day. Yes I am guilty of skipping a day here and there but his teeth today are better than a year ago and he has great breath.......Just make sure you use a dog toothpaste and not a paste for humans..................Need more tips paw me and I'd love to help any of you more.............
[notify]

Bella

Momma's lil'- fuzzball

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 9:12am PST 
Do you mean like the style? Or do you mean how do you cut your dogs hair?

My hair is kept pretty low so I don't get huge knots. I think I look better with short hair though but long-haired Maltese's are GORGEOUS!
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 8:24am PST 
I keep zoey in a "puppy cut". I just dont have the time to keep her hair long. And I dont show her, so itz no big deal to keep it shorter. Most groomers know what a puppy cut is, so just ask for that.
[notify]