GO!

Why are lurchers quite unpopular?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jessie

Can I- have the- ball?

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '07 5:15am PST 
Does anybody know why lurchers are so unpopular? Our owners have been asked a couple of times, 'What is a lurcher?'. Maybe it's time lurchers get noticed!

Edited by author Sun Jul 22, '07 5:15am PST

[notify]
Ringo

Ya gotta make- yer own- sunshine!

Barked: Sun Jul 22, '07 7:49pm PST 
Do you mean that your people are asked that on Dogster or where you live? I would be surprised if they get that question at home! Lurchers seem to be very popular in the U.K. where you are. Here in the U.S. where I live, NOBODY seems to know anything about lurchers! Not even the vets or other "dog people" have heard of us!
I think it's very nice of Dogster to list us as a breed even though we really aren't a breed, and to provide information about lurchers for people who are curious enough to click on our "breed" under our names. :0)

Edited by author Sun Jul 22, '07 7:52pm PST

[notify]
Jessie

Can I- have the- ball?

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '07 5:27am PST 
I mean at home where I live. I don't live in the UK, actually. I live in Ireland, the land of the green! I know Northern Ireland is known as part of the United Kingdom but I live in Dublin, the capital of Ireland so I'm not English at all! The reason why lurchers are unpopular in the US may be because they are rarely found outside Ireland and Great Britain where they were originally bred. Anyhow! Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere else. I heard people in Tokyo treat their dogs better than children with dog bakeries and dog spas and dog gyms and dog hotels. I hear parts of America are like that too but not Ireland! No way! If anydog comes to Ireland thinking they're gonna find any of the above they are out of their mind! Other times I am proud to be Irish. There may be a lot of rain but at least I get to be friends with the local leprechaun! laugh out loud
[notify]

Darlene

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '07 3:37am PST 
Lurchers are very popular around hear, but they seem to be becoming rarer outside of England and Wales, which is a shame.
I'm a massive Lurcher fan myself, and love reading about them and learning about their history. They're fasinating dogs and I'm always sharing my love of them with people online.
It's a great shame they're not better known.
[notify]
Ringo

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '07 9:21pm PST 
My Pop read a wonderful book about a Lurcher... I will ask him about it and post the name of the book and author here. It was a great story!
[notify]
Ringo

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 10:41pm PST 
Oops! I asked my Dad about the book, and he got it out and read it again and never told me the name of the book or the author so I could give it here. Well, I asked him again and the book is called "The Lurcher" (duh!) and it was written by Frank Walker. He said it's a great book! way to goway to go
[notify]
Ivan the- Lurcher

Ivan the lurcher

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 1:19pm PST 
Despite what some may think Lurchers are quite popular in the state of Texas. They are just known under another name. They are called Texas Coyote dogs- for their ability to run down and kill coyotes. The crosses I've encountered the most are: Irish Wolfhound/greyhound, German Shepard/greyhound, and Great Dane/greyhound. If you check my site you'll see a few. I've had to change my rescue over to mostly picking up lurchers because there are so many that get lost during the hunts. Ivan is one of these. Needless to say they are very beautiful and I LOVE the endless varity the greyhound crosses come in. I've even started a scrapbook of Lurchers.
[notify]
Rocket's- Aaerro - SD

Peeing on all- things linoleum

Barked: Tue May 11, '10 9:46pm PST 
Lurchers aren't very popular around here in central Canada except among some farming folk who use 'Staghounds' to hunt just about everything from deer to wolves. Local Staghounds are usually crossed with Irish Wolfhounds or Greyhounds and any number of hunting breeds, as long as the result is large (30 inches or larger), fast and capable of bringing down prey. There's a race to the west of my home town where a motorcycle is run, dragging a lure behind it that pits these Staghounds against eachother is a fun family event. Some folks have even bought racing line Greyhounds to breed with their Staghounds because of this yearly event!

On an amusing note- they use a motorcycle because their dogs couldn't or wouldn't chase a standard coursing lure on a pulley system! It completely baffled them as to why a large dog would chase rabbits but be completely oblivious to a lure on a line...hamster dance
[notify]