GO!

Silver Lab with Mismarkings?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:58am PST 
We recently purchased a Silver Lab, which I am not asking to dispute DNA. We bought her for a pet not for breeding or showing and she is the BEST dog big grin I just have a quick question about mismarkings. Has anyone seen the tan points marking on silver labs? Our little girl seems to have tan points but they are only a shade different from her main body color. It is pretty cute! Just wondering. thanks!
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 12:32pm PST 
She sounds extremely cute!
I have a golden retriever lab mix who is red and looks like a fox red labrador. What I'm wondering is if a black lab, yellow, or chocolate can have any of those color pups can they also have a red or silver?? I think the red and silver ones are adorable, as are all the colors!
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 12:36pm PST 
Oh yeah, in response to your question my dogs have white tips, but they are also mixed with other things besides golden and lab. But I did hear at my vet that pure bred labs can have white on their chests. I always assumed the white chested ones were a mix.
[notify]

Ziva

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:07am PST 
As labs don't cone in silver colour, your dog obviously isn't purebred so mismarkings are no surprise. Nevertheless I'm sure he's an excellent friend, and a great pet.
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:16am PST 
Silver, white, champagne, and fox red are all more rare colors but they are out there. I looked them up and they are sooooo cute!!!!
[notify]
Ziva

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 2:21pm PST 
Oh, I've done my research on lab genetics of colours and I assure you that silver is not a rare lab colour as so often advertised. Fox red, and maybe champagne are just variations of yellow.

The fact that AKC registers silvers as chocolates is just a way for silver breeders to sell their dogs as purebreds. Go to any official AKC or FCI dog show and you'll see no silvers in the show ring. If such dog is entered in the show it's immediately disqualified because silver coat in a labrador retriever is a mismark by itself.
For further information read this link:

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_detail_news.ph p?nid=3
[notify]
Dakota

Dokie

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 12:37pm PST 
I see. I do recall seeing something about silver actually being a variation of chocolate. But what matters is they are dogs, pure, loveable dogs no matter what their genes. I have mutts and I always tell them I am so happy with the way all the "ingredients" made them just who they are!smile
[notify]
Ziva

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:42am PST 
It has been advertised as a variation of chocolate colour. But the gene responsable for silver coat is not a part of a lab's genetic makeup. If it were silvers would be appearing all over the world, not just in few American kennels. And they would have been present early on throught breed history as chocolate and yellow puppies were. Although they were recognised and accepted in labrador retriever standard much later on. At first only black dogs were registered.

But I agree with you, if you have a loving pet than it doesn't matter what breed it is, purebred or mutt. As long as you love him and he loves you. laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '13 4:44am PST

[notify]