GO!

Buying second Black Labrador

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 10:55pm PST 
I am going to adopt a Black Labrador Retriever, and I want a full bred Black Labrador, around 3 to 5 years old. I am not looking for any papers for the dog. What are the things to look for to make sure is is a full bred Lab? I last Lab. dies three months ago.

Edited by author Mon Oct 1, '12 1:30pm PST

[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:52pm PST 
The only way to ensure you're getting a purebred is to go with a reputable breeder.

Ways to distinguish a reputable breeder:

- you can verify they have a good widespread reputation
- they are educated on the breed
- they have vet references
- they do health testing
- they do not breed dogs before 2 years of age
- they do not breed on a mass scale
- they are not breeding for color (silver for example)
- they are not breeding for sizes outside of the breed standard (either too small or too large)
- they utilize the talents of the breed by making sure their dogs have the opportunity to work (retrieve). Without proof of inherent retriever talent the litters a breeder is producing are not going to better the breed.

Keep in mind that someone having a pup to offer with AKC papers is NOT a reflection of it's quality. About anyone can acquire such papers and it does not guarantee the puppy you're getting is well bred or even purebred.
[notify]