GO!

Breeding Lab Colors

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

LEK Daphne,- SD

Coming Soon

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 11:33am PST 
I met Daphne's dam, Molly, who looks exactly like her (tall, lanky yellow lab). I asked who her sire was and the trainer said that they re-homed him. Apparently a lot of the pups he was making with Molly were too lanky and skinny and, while they were the right height for mobility work, a lot of them didn't have a strong enough bone structure. Daphne and her siblings that are in training right now all have their mother's bone structure, which is lanky, but hearty. They re-homed all the pups that were too skinny.

The sire, Cody, was a chocolate lab. I vaguely remember reading online that for some reason you should NEVER breed a chocolate to a yellow lab. I know this is because if the pups turn out yellow, their nose and eyes aren't dark enough for confirmation shows. Daphne is an example of this. She has amber eyes and a chocolate nose with some pink. A yellow lab should have dark brown eyes and a black nose.

I already knew that Daphne wouldn't be able to compete in confirmation. Her head is too wedge-shaped and her body isn't stout enough. However, do you guys know if there are any other reasons why you shouldn't breed a chocolate to a yellow? Are there any genetic issues there?
[notify]
BAILY

I love dog- agility

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 2:05pm PST 
Well I think Baily was bred with a black lab but I am not sure.confused
I think it would depend on the male and female dogs family history.And if there was ever a fild lab in there history thats probly why they were skinny.I dont think it could couse any helth problems.I kinda want to find out a little more 2 I hope this helps.smile
[notify]
Finch

A Duck? Where?!

Barked: Sun Sep 4, '11 8:59pm PST 
You can breed a Chocolate to a Yellow, Only if you know what colors they carry. Chocolates can carry yellow or be dominant. The same with Yellows, Yellow Labradors can carry for Chocolate or just be dominant and carry for no other color.

For example
Chocolate (carries yellow) x Yellow (dominant)
Puppies will be;;
Black (carries yellow & chocolate) and Yellow (carries Chocolate)

Another example
Chocolate (carries yellow) x Yellow (carries chocolate)
Puppies will be
Black (carries yellow & chocolate)
Yellow (carries chocolate)
Yellow with no black pigment
Chocolate (carries yellow)

Coat color predictions here
http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html
[notify]

Kiwi- PSD

When your dreams- turn to dust,- vacuum!!

Barked: Mon Sep 5, '11 8:39pm PST 
It all really depends on the genetics of the labs to be bred. Black is dominate, yellow is recessive, and chocolate is an incomplete dominance for it to be expressed.

As far as the pink nose and light colored eyes...it is impossible to say the JUST breeding a chocolate lab to a yellow lab would cause this. There are many genetic factors in DNA replication, formation of genes/chromosomes, such as crossing over, random assortment, and basic mutations. It probably is possible that there is a higher risk of this happening but I would not say that simply breeding a chocolate to a yellow is the sole reason for this.

Also yellow and chocolate labs noses can discolor with age. This is completely normal and from what I have seen can fade into a fleshy pink color.

I have seen basically two types of labs...english and american. The english labs have a bigger block shaped head, stouter/sturider body...and appear to be slighty more mellow. The american type lab is the kind used in field trials and hunting. They are thin, lanky, quick on their feet and head seems to have a sleeker shape.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinwave

Edited by author Mon Sep 5, '11 8:43pm PST

[notify]