GO!

Dog Food recommendation

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Juniper CGC

SQUIRRELLLL?- Where??

Barked: Sun Oct 25, '09 6:23pm PST 
As a trainer and puppy raiser for one of the largest service dog training schools in North America, I have a lot of experience with seeing the effects of different foods on dogs. When I started raising guide pups, the national foundation required that ALL pups be on IAMS (though I don't know for sure, I suspect the national training center receives free or highly discounted food from IAMS, and since the pups will be going back there for training, they must be on that food). The first pup that I had was on IAMS when I got him. He was horribly itchy and had diarrhea all the time. I was instructed to switch to Purina ONE. His itching improved a little, but his skin was still itchy and flaky, his coat dull, and he had sporadic diarrhea a couple times a week. This dog (who was doing exceptionally well in the training program and would have made an unbelievable guide) was released from training for food allergies (basically, his system didn't handle "crap" well and since he couldn't eat the same food the other dogs could, he was out). I adopted him as a pet, and immediately switched him to Blue Buffalo. I noticed an instant change in him. His stool became darker and firmer, and was deposited in much smaller amounts. His itching diminished, and his coat developed a healthy luster. He is no longer on any sort of medication and has a vigor that I have never seen in him before (note that previously, he was on chronic anti-histamine and anti-itch meds and was on and off GI antibiotics for the first 9 months of his life).

On a good note, the national foundation is currently reviewing their nutrition program and much to my delight will most likely be switching to Natural Balance pretty soon. I am so happy that they have finally realized (after hundreds of pups doing poorly on low quality food) that the dogs will do better on a higher quality food.
[notify]
Bichon

Barked: Mon Mar 7, '11 10:02am PST 
Blue Buffalo is a great food. It is less expensive than many of the lower quality foods and is lower in price than most of the foods of the same quality (Wellness, Castor & Pollux, Solid Gold, Canidae).
[notify]
Jameson

It's Moot If It- Can't Be Chewed!

Barked: Tue Jun 7, '11 9:07pm PST 
I look at dog food the same way I look at people food. Everyone understands that McDonald's and Twinkies are unhealthy foods and lack proper nutrients, even though there are tons of people out there who eat them regularly and function just fine. HOWEVER if you cut that stuff out of a person's diet and feed them only fresh raw and cooked vegetables, meats and fruits, with any processed foods being made from organic ingredients and with limited ingredients, their health will improve an astounding amount.

A dog can "thrive" on cheap dog food just the same as someone could survive on only McDonald's if they had to. But if you feed a dog a food that has whole protein sources with no byproducts, more meat than grains (or no grains at all) and more wholesome food sources overall, the dog will be healthier. I always advise people to try feeding a better food, even if it's just for a month...go splurge on a 30lb bag and see if you don't notice a difference by the end of the bag.

After learning all that I have about dog food from here and my own independent research, I will NEVER feed my dog any grocery store brand, nor most of the brands carried in traditional pet stores. I think a lot of dogsters will agree with me when I say that my dog eats WAY better than I do!
[notify]

Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 9:04pm PST 
We feed out girl Canidea. It seems to be good, Rubi wolfs it down. Harley had allergies real bad and it seems to help her as well. I tried to compare it to the blue food and it was very close to the same. I hope this helps and Happy birthday to your pup
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 9:04pm PST 
We feed out girl Canidea. It seems to be good, Rubi wolfs it down. Harley had allergies real bad and it seems to help her as well. I tried to compare it to the blue food and it was very close to the same. I hope this helps and Happy birthday to your pup
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 9:05pm PST 
[notify]
Sadie

Hi! Wanna be my- friend?

Barked: Sat Aug 6, '11 5:01pm PST 
I may be a little late writing this, but I'll still write.

TOTW is actually pretty inexpensive and it is good quality kibble. I'd try that brand smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 1, '11 11:05pm PST 
I have five working dogs on a 300+ acre tract of land that all eat Iams and got really, really sick when they were performing on Blue Buffalo. One lost hair and got a nasty rash, along with a diminished liver. All of them had the runs for nearly a month. Blue Buffalo is good food if your dog sleeps 18 hours a day and wears bandanas. Mine are pets and help me with goats and sheep on a working farm, all of them are very active, and I have a Border Collie/Aussie mix that runs half marathons everyday and Iams keeps her with a shiny coat, outstanding vet visits, and a low food bill.
Don't buy into the "holistic" dog food movement, it is mere marketing. Dogs ate table scraps and refuse until about 80 years ago. Dogs are 10,000-15,000 years old when being fed by humans, probably older.
One of my dogs is an 11 year old German Shepherd that still gets up and works, everyday. She has had Iams for the better part of her life, and has outlived all of her littermates. Most German Shepherds don't make it to 11, much less still herd and flock guard.
In short, buy whatever food your dog does well on, but don't talk down to others that have different results. If you want to spend 40 bucks on a bag of commercial dog food, so be it--just don't preach to people that have had dogs their entire life and all of them have lived a long, long time with no cancer, renal failure, diabetes, or anything else "holistic" food claims to prevent. snoopy
[notify]

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:54am PST 
THanks you Harmony for the best answer for me
[notify]
Aries

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 6:40pm PST 
Aries turned 1 Dec 1.He has been eating Purina Smart Blend puppy food.He loves it.Think I'm going to move him into that brand of dog food.It's not expensive, -$31 for a31lb bag.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4