GO!

Dog Food recommendation

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Tue Jul 21, '09 9:49am PST 
I am glad somebody else is brave enough to admit feeding Iams. Please don't feel guilty about it. It just means you are a rational person that doesn't letemotional marketing push your buttons.
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Tue Jul 21, '09 10:57am PST 
Iams doesn't have emotional marketing?big laughbig laugh
A lot of the premium foods don't advertise at all or advertise minimally...Their food speaks for itself.shrugwave
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Tue Jul 21, '09 1:58pm PST 
Aster *jesus christ your driving me nuts* so therefore, it's venting time
Marketing was NOT what made me switch, it was a reccomendation from a friend who found it out their local pet store, switched their dog to it and saw a wealth of health improvments. It's the common brands that lead us to believe they are the healthiest stuff around. It's all over the TV,magazines,animal planet,. Holistic companies rarely post advertisments and rely on people who try it getting the word out. They have better things to do with their money, like hmm maybe buying quality ingredients like protein sources of chicken as oppose to the soybean millrun,corn,and chicken by products that companies like SD uses. Iams has enticing commercials like "how does your food stack up to iams" (and CORE goes above and beyond whatever stack iams has made). Beneful has cute colorful commercials with pieces of chicken and wheat falling through the air(even though the first ingredient isn't even chicken and SUGAR is listed before you even see any vegetables that beneful claims to have sOOO much of)

Holistic dog food is NOT a waste of money.There are tons of people who have made the switch to a holistic dog food and noticed huge improvments in their dogs which they thought were the healthiest they could be. Just go to any of the holistc companies websites and check out testimonials, with stories of dogs on foods like pedigree having problems that went away when switching. Chocolate has a shiny coat,tons of energy,and smaller poo on CORE. The statement you constantly make that all dog foods are the same couldn't be farther from the choose.

For instance, iams main ingredients are corn and chicken by products, ol roy's are bone meal,corn,wheat,and BHA(a preservative banned,or strictly monitered in human food, but dog food companies are permitted to go crazy with this chemical),Good brands like Wellness have actual chicken,turkey,and turkey meals as the main ingredients. Obviously you have no idea how healthy your dog could be if you just tried healthy dog foods! There the testimonals of people who have switched speak for themselves.

the ingredient dog food grading is based on the fact that dogs are meat eaters. And that being said, corn,soy,and wheat, as the first ingredient is totally inappropriate. You say service dogs thrive on Purina and you can't see why dogs would do better on anything else. hmm maybe because YOU HAVEN"T TRIED ITTTT. I think you are have been led into thinking common brands are the ultimate experts. When it turns out, as long as they just throw some vitamins into the food, it's good for them. Low quality pet food compnies put all kinds of crap into their foods. One of them being meat by products, which can be ANYTHING. Tapes have been released of people dumping dead dogs and cats from vets and animal shelters with euthanasia still in them being thrown into the back of a truck on it's way to the pet food plants.

Edited by author Tue Jul 21, '09 2:12pm PST

[notify]

Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Tue Jul 21, '09 2:30pm PST 
BTW , Iams has been recalled before,so have hills products,and purina, contrary what you are trying to make us believe. Wellness,Innova,EVO,chicken soup,California natural,and merrick have never been recalled.

Pedigree complete nutrition: recalled according to dogster blog and other sources:

http://dogblog.dogster.com/2008/08/11/food-recall-alert- mars-pedigree-dog-food-salmonella-scare/

Iams has been recalled before:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/brand_list.c fm?brand=Iams Can Small Bites Formula&pet=Dog

HIll's has been recalled before

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/brand_ list.cfm?brand=Hill's Prescription Diet&pet=Cat

Edited by author Tue Jul 21, '09 2:30pm PST

[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Wed Jul 22, '09 7:01am PST 
Once again, Aster, if you have any proof to back up your claims, show it. I'm more than willing to listen. I want to feed what's best for my dogs.
I read up on it, and I switched to a premium food not because of marketing (I've seen much more marketing for "the common brands" than the "premium ones", BTW), but because after I actually looked into it, the arguments for those foods made a heck of a lot more sense than those against it. But, you got anything plausible to counter it, I'll listen.

You are entitled to your own opinion and you have the right to express that opinion, but please stop bashing, in effect, those who believe strongly in feeding these foods.
[notify]
Aster

Let's go for a- swim

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 6:48pm PST 
First of all, you need to read what I have said.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 7:11pm PST 
I have, many times over.
Now, please, the proof I've been asking for for a while now? If I'm not just teasing, and if you don't feel comfortable posting it in the forums, paw-mail me. I can't promise that you'll convert me, but I can and do promise to view it with an open mind.
If you feel that the proof I'm asking for is in your past posts, I've seen all of your past forums posts twice. Some more than that. None of your have arguments made sense to me. Perhaps if you'd provide more sources, explain more clearly, tell us more about these secret studies you've mentioned sometimes (if you can, but if you don't, I'm sorry, but I cannot trust study(s) that I know next to nothing about), and quit attacking those who are educating others about their side?
First you came on here sharing your side most civilly and even presenting plausible arguments (even if I didn't think they proved your point). But lately, in the forums, you've been simply bashing us and finding ways to make us look bad rather than providing arguments that have to do directly with dog food. This has raised many suspicions in my mind, but I'm almost always willing to give the benefit of a doubt. After all, I've been forgiven for worse things.

I'd like to add that I have fed "the common brands" in the past. We used to get Purina one month, Pedigree the next, and something like Ol' Roy the next. Not in that order. Basically whichever was cheapest or available at the time. Then in 2005 we switched to Lassie Natural Way, and stuck with it until middle 2008, when the store quit selling it. After which, I started doing my own research, and temporarily fed Iams. Then a month later, a pet store opened up in our area and I began feeding Diamond. Then I began feeding Diamond Naturals. Recently, I switched to Chicken Soup.
Anyway, I am in no way ashamed to admit that I fed "the common brands" in the past. What I am ashamed about is that I used to have big beefs with the foodies in this forum just because they didn't like the food I was feeding.

Edited by author Thu Jul 23, '09 7:29pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 7:50pm PST 
Oh dang, the "if" in the third sentence wasn't supposed to be there. Sorry. I tend to type fast, and then buy the time I catch it, it's too late for me to correct my spelling, word, and grammar errors.

Edited by author Thu Jul 23, '09 7:51pm PST

[notify]
Odin - SD

I've never met a- cheese I didn't- like.

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '09 6:48am PST 
I know many SD schools are given food by certain companies, so OFC the dogs are on it. It's a sponsorship.
There are MUCH better options out there. I thought I was doing good feeding Nutro lamb and rice (could have been much worse)...I researched and now feed Wellness Core. It's not that much more pricewise, and it's a WAY better food. Odin eats less of it (hmm, maybe cause there's no fillers/grains) and he also makes smaller piles in the yard to deal with. (Maybe cause what he eats, he actually digests and uses most of?)
I've seen the difference in feeding garbage vs. feeding good food. Odin's brother does not have the shiny soft coat that he does, he can compete with horses in his waste, and he eats a huge pile of kibble. Is he "unhealthy"? No, BUT..he could still be better.
Feeding a dog a bunch of fillers to make it full..hmm...not me.

Edited by author Sat Jul 25, '09 7:01am PST

[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '09 8:45pm PST 
Yeah Wellness CORE is terrific, it's what I feed Chocolate.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4