GO!

Black lab with dandruff

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bailey

EVERYTHING IS- FOOOOOOOD!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 9:56am PST 
We have a 3 month old who has lots of dandruff. Our vet recommended a shampoo with aloe and oatmeal which we used and used a rubber coat brush but she still has LOTS of dandruff. Is this normal? Is there anything besides regular brushing we should be doing?
[notify]
Max

Hey Mom - how did my body- get so big?

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 5:53am PST 
You can try a fish oil supplement. It takes a few weeks to really notice the difference, but it does help. I'm not sure of the dose though, Max is huge so we can just give him a full capsule.
[notify]
Luna CGC

Yes, I\'m a- yellow belly. - And?

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 6:50am PST 
Hi Bailey,

Do you mind me asking what kind of food you are on? That could be the problem, so maybe a switch in that will help.
[notify]

Lexi - RIP 9/14/07 - 1/29/08

9/14/07 to- 1/29/08 - Miss you baby!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 7:23am PST 
I have dandruff too, but a friend told me to put a humidity back into the air in the house, the dry air in winter causes it to be worse. So we have a humidifier thing.
[notify]
Riley Hank

I'm a sweet- angel now...

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 1:17pm PST 
Ri didn't get dandruff until his older years. Drizzling some olive oil over his dinner helped to keep his coat dandruff free and shiny!
[notify]
Baron

SQUIRRELS!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '08 11:10am PST 
Oooh... I had a big problem with this too when my people first got me....

1. They put me on Purina ONE food

2. They drizzle my morning kibble with a little olive oil

As you can see from my pics.... dandruff problem... gone, and we have oil heat which is the most annoying, dry heat you can get it seems like =-P
[notify]
Zep

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 9:45am PST 
Zep likes to sleep in front of the heat register - dry skin results - but a little oil does seem to help.
[notify]
Jet

Barked: Sat Jun 6, '09 11:38am PST 
Hi Jet is our two year old black lab and he has very bad dandruff, so he gets sardines occasionally and Coatex which the Vet recommended. We shall continue this programme for a bit but any other advice please let us know. Many thanks
[notify]
Dessie

Wow, that- sandwich looks- scrumptious!

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 12:03pm PST 
Dessie has this same problem. We used to do the sardines thing but after reading the salt content we stopped. It never really did that much anyways. We're changing her food because I'm beginning to think its a grain allergy. (btw Purina ONE is TERRIBLE food). However, she's on a medicated shampoo and after one bath it seems to be working. In the past the vet put her on a garlicky fish oil pill that worked wonders. The only think I didn't like about it was the price paired with having to continue it forever. For the past 3 weeks she's been on a medication for it because it got so bad. That got it to a point where it could be treated safely with a shampoo.

Edited by author Tue Jun 9, '09 12:04pm PST

[notify]