GO!

Do you think my "mutt" looks like a Kooiker?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mira

the miracle dog

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 1:25am PST 
I was told by the previous owner that my dog was half collie (and that the mother looked very much like she does) and half "big black St. Bernard").

She looks very similar to a Kooikerhondje, but she is too big to really be one I think. She is about 23" at the shoulder and a little over 50 lbs--just slightly taller than her friend who is an Australian Shepherd.

The descriptions of Kooiker temperament and characteristics that I have read fit her very well, though (except that she doesn't like water), so I wonder if perhaps she is at least part Kooiker?
[notify]
Chamois

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 5:35pm PST 
Unless you got her in Holland, probably not. There are so few elsewhere that the odds are miniscule. It is fun to think about though and to learn about all kinds of breeds anyway.
[notify]
penny

Barked: Thu Dec 3, '09 12:34pm PST 
i think my dog looks like a kooikerhondje too!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 20, '11 4:30pm PST 
Yes, the mother of your dog was probably a Kooiker. I got mine from OKC animal shelter, didn't know what it was (was told part brittany & long haired Dachshund), until I say the Dogs 101 special last January.
Since then I have studied them and you can tell by the almond shaped eyes, the black earrings, the way their ears set back & up on their head, and the sail looking tail. The dog Penny (1078271) in the reply to your question also is Kooiker.
[notify]