GO!

Chins and Hot Weather

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Mon Jul 9, '07 5:19pm PST 
I'm planning on moving to Southern California next year or so and I want to get a new puppy sometime after that. I've been doing research on Japanese Chins and they seem to fit pretty well with what I'm after - sweet, intelligent, quiet, soft, beautiful, and everything else I'm sure you Chin lovers know already. My issue is that because of their short noses, they have a very hard time handling the heat. I've read this, but I can't seem to find any specific information. So I was hoping you all could help me - how does your Chin do with hot weather? How do you help him/her handle the heat? I'd love to know more about this; it would really help.
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '07 11:54am PST 
We have two adorable Chin and live in Southern Louisiana where it can get extremely hot. We do keep the inside of our house about 76 degrees when it is 95-98 degrees outside with relative humidity about 90%. We have many skylights in our home and our male loves to lay in the sunbeams coming into the house. Neither seem concerned with hot weather, but they are heavy-coated dogs. In our opinion they should be kept inside at all times except when taking them for a ride in air conditioned comfort and of course when they attend to their business. They are amazingly easy to housebreak
[notify]
Muffin

Cute as a- muffin!

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '07 9:27am PST 
We live in Canada, where the weather can go from one extreme to another in a matter of days. My chin cannot handle the hot weather at all, and if the temperature is above 25 degrees she is limited to about a two block stroll. We usually take her out after 10 at night or 7 in the morning for her walks when it is cooler. She is a trooper though, and loves to walk, even if she has to wear a parka in the winter or a raincoat in the summer!!! Such a beautiful girl with so much personality!!!
[notify]

Colby

A face only a- mother could- love...

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 6:40pm PST 
I realize this answer is wayyy late, but for others who may be wondering the same thing... chins prefer warmer weather because they have no under coat. But it is important to find a good chin breeder whose dogs do not have breathing difficulties.
[notify]