GO!

Peeing in the house.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 7:54am PST 
I got my dog about 4 weeks ago, and she seems to like to pee in the house as soon as I walk out the door. Can anyone give me some advice on how to stop this? I don't really want to have to kennel her everytime I leave. She is now 3 years old, I picked her up from a shelter and don't know alot about her past. We have trained her to do alot of things so I know she is not dumb. And yes we do alot of walking and exercise. Enyone have a suggestion willing to listen.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 8:35pm PST 
Not sure if you are okay with this or not but do you have a fenced yard and trust your dog enough to not escape the fence? For my Jack Russell I have a doggy door that I installed for the house. I don't use kennels or any of that and I never have a problem with him peeing in the house. This gives him freedom to go when he needs to and it keeps my house urine free. Hope this helped.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 2:27pm PST 
I adopted a three year old J.R. in March (is now Nov.) and if I don't keep my eye on him - he will mark within house. I could never catch him doing it so teaching or disciplining was out of the question. So then I tried diapers but that didn't work because he tore them off. To make a long story short, I had to crate him and it initially killed me to do that because with all the dogs I have and do own, not one was crated. I am out of the house for 9 to 9.5 hrs daily and he holds himself for that length of time so I know that he has bladder cantrol. In all, he is happier (he now actually goes in there on his own when he wants to be left alone)and I'm happier. I just make sure that he gets at least 3 walks (from time I get home from work until I go to bed) and problem has been solved! Oh yes, I do not crate him at night time - preferring him to sleep on my bed.
[notify]

Smokin'- Joseph- McGraw *RIP- 200

Another man's- trash is Mom's- treasure!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 6:04pm PST 
CRATE her!!!! Every vet and trainer will tell you this. It really is the best way to potty train (and help with bad habits). My dogs are all crated when we are gone and they are completely trustworthy most of the time. However, like you both my JRTs pee in the house occasionally-- usually at night -- even though we too have a doggy door -- mostly when they are too wussy to go outside in the snow/rain for my female and marking for my male. Its just part of being a dog owner... no matter how trained they are they will pee at sometime. However, a crate will definitely remind her of her manners too.
[notify]