GO!

How much do JRT's usually weigh?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Scraps

Play with me!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 21, '08 4:34pm PST 
Scraps is a JRT mix and he often has playdates with a cream-coat shiba inu (who are genetically skinny)... it's hard to tell if scraps needs to go on a diet or not because he's short-legged and more muscular so it just makes him look bigger. How much does your jack weigh and how big is he/her?
[notify]
Petie

Train me what I- can do

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '08 10:00am PST 
Hi;
I have a house full of Jrts (have for years). Finding the proper weight can sometimes be a little bit difficult for some people.
General rule of thumb regardless of body style is you should be able to easily feel the ribs but not see them, when look down upon your dog they should have a waist behind the ribs and they should have a bit of a tuck up behind the ribs when looking at them from the side.
A good guide line for weight for any breed or type of dog is at the Purina website, they have a outline that is excellent.
Good luck
Lynn
[notify]

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '08 12:18pm PST 
my 5 yr old jack is not the short legged type. He weighs 12 lbs
[notify]

Syd

"If it can be- destroyed, IM ON- IT !"

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 8:20pm PST 
im 15lbs!
[notify]
Zoe

Dude, where's my- bone?

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 12:57am PST 
i'm a year and 4 months old and im 15 lbs
short legged JRT cheer
[notify]
Sadie Rue

JRT - 0 to 60 in 2.5- seconds

Barked: Sat May 24, '08 7:18pm PST 
I weigh 13.4 lb (not a Puddin either)
[notify]
Cassie- 6/9/2000-10/- 14/2012

Feed me!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '08 7:21pm PST 
I am technically a Puddin' (by 3/4") and I weigh between 11 & 12 pounds in competition weight.
[notify]
Milo

can we go for a- walk now? how- about now?

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 3:59pm PST 
jrt are supposed to weigh between 15 to 18 lbs.
[notify]
Petie

Train me what I- can do

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '08 12:39pm PST 
General rule of thumb, for every inch the jrt is tall the weight should be 1 lb - l 1/2 lbs. Of course that also can vary on body style. Of course that is a dog that isn't over weight and is fit.
A registered JRTCA 10 inch bitch could weigh as little as just over 10lbs or as heavy as 12 lbs etc.
I have a 10 inch bitch that weighs just over 10 lbs, nice little girl for hunting groundhogs, but certainly isn't a draw dog.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 2:03pm PST 
I weigh 22lbsbig grin I think JRTz aren't recognized over here because there is such a variety in the breed (weight, size, color). Since the AKC recognizes only the longer legged Jacks (Parson Russell) I agree with Petie on being able to feel the ribs. Every dog is differentbig grin

~Jesse~
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2