GO!

Living with an IGGY, etc

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 6:19pm PST 
Hey, everyone!

We're thinking of getting another dog. I need a show dog! (oh, but don't think that's my only reason. haha...I'm just saying) anyway, can you please tell me YOUR experience with the breed? What are they like? trainability? etc... I think I really like this breed. I've met one in person, and read so much about them.

thanks
[notify]
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 3:18pm PST 
IGs are great! They are very well tempered but can be a bit shy. IGs are super stubborn! laugh out loud That is one problem I have with Keelie in agility. When she doesn't want to work she really doesn't. Potty training can be an adventure too. You need to be very patient to have an iggy. I would advise you to check out http://www.igpost.com to get to know the breed more. Those people are very nice and helpful don't be afraid to become a member too! Thanks for researching!!
[notify]
Jackson

Futuristic Bow- Wow

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 1:38pm PST 
thank you, Keelie!
[notify]

Gracie

Pet me,- please...Or Ill- look pathetic.

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 10:02am PST 
My personal experience...
They are high maintenance dogs as compared to the other breeds Ive had.They are more nervous, vocal and need lots of attention and snuggles and are happiest if they have a big place to run.
They have to have sweaters in winter and tooth care so they dont lose those little teeth.
They are hard to potty train and will often revert to the house if the weather is nasty or hold it till they just pee right in front of you rather then go out and get a little rain on thier backs..
They are more fragile then most dogs.
And they love kitty crunchies(indoors or out) and stealing out of the garbage cans....But I couldnt imagine my life without one or two.

Edited by author Sat Nov 8, '08 10:03am PST

[notify]
Gidget lil- girl with- big ideas

Gidget the- jumping bean

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 10:03pm PST 
My IG is 6 months old I got her when she was 8 wks. The breader was great and started to make the pups use a doggy door and potty outside. I had no problem training her and she only made i would say 5 mistakes in the house. The key is to have a doggy door because they have small bladders and especially when they are pups. I started training her immediately and she sits, shaking, lays down, bows. I have not had a problem training her. She is very playfull and is either crazy hyper or sleeping and cuddling. It is on or off with her. I live in a small house with a small yard and she definately needs a walk everyday. I can tell if she doesnt have one. I think they are great breads. However they are not your average dog that will do what ever their master says. My dog is kind of dinging. She love to jump straight up when she is excited. She rarely barks and when she does it when we are rough housing. However she does make very odd sounds that I can not explain. Over all I would say she is an extremely quiet dog. She is very affectionate and those eyes just melt your heart. I love my IG and if you choose to get one i know you will fall in love.snoopy
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Mon Feb 2, '09 2:53pm PST 
I am a first time IG owner. After spending 8 months with him I am hooked on this breed. I also own a toy poodle that I love but the IG breed is just so different. My IG, Marley, which is a perfect fit b/c he can be a little bad boyshh lol is very high energy and social. I'm not sure he would be happy without the companionship of my three other dogs. When I first got him he bonded with our dogs instantly! I own a grooming business so Marley accompanies me to work everyday. He welcomes all of my clients very well...and has quite a few doggy pals. I think IG's are great in the aspect of they are loving, very loyal, easy to maintain, and just fun to be around. If I had to name any negatives it would be house training, stubborness, needy, and moody. If he's waken up from a snooze...Watch out! I think if you desired a dog that you want to devote your life to then IG's are the one!blue dog
[notify]