GO!

Adopting an adult iggy, help please...

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Hershey

born to run

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '08 5:11pm PST 
I will be adopting a second iggy in a few weeks.She is almost 2yrs old.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this transition less stressful for the dog?
I currently have 4 dogs, one is an iggy.
Ive never adopted an adult dog before, the others were all puppies.
[notify]
Hazen

Huger'er'er than- Hype!

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 12:21am PST 
I've never taken in an adult dog either...have you tried IG specific forums for feedback- like IGPost or IggyPlanet and so forth?
[notify]
Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 8:07pm PST 
They actually make the transition very well. I adopted Keelie when she was 2. If you would like you can PM me and you can ask more specific Qs. =]
[notify]

Enzo

Barked: Sat Oct 4, '08 2:06pm PST 
I'm new to this site but we adopted an adult (we think he is two years old) from the SPCA a year ago. He came with several issues - couldn't keep him out of the trash can, wasn't potty trained, was extremely nervous, etc. I called a trainer and she said that a regular schedule (feeding, walks, etc) is imperative for them to adjust quickly. Within 4 months he was housebroken and his nervousness was down to peeking when new people came to the house. I read alot of books too which helped. Good luck and good for you for adopting an adult dog! We love ours!!
[notify]