GO!

Playing with bigger dogs?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Monty

Vicious- sighthound!

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '07 12:06pm PST 
(This is kind of a vague question; I apologize.)

Monty and our puppy, Ida, (a Basenji mix who I'd estimate weighs about 25 pounds) like to play. They chase each other around the apartment, tussle, play tug-o-war, &c.

They don't get to hang out together unsupervised because although they're on pretty good terms in general, I wouldn't want things to get out of hand and see one or both of them hurt. Better to be safe than sorry and all that.

I guess what I'm asking is, what are your protocols for letting your iggies play with larger dogs? Ida's definitely not a large large dog, and I'd be very surprised if she ended up more than thirty or thirty-five pounds. Still, that's quite a bit bigger than Monty and Livy. They seem to enjoy tiring each other out, though, and I appreciate that.

Any thoughts?

(Oh, and when they play, Monty makes the most awful noise. It's not a growl, it's not a shriek--it's this keening, whining, ninja-like noise that just shatters my eardrums. Does anypup else do that, and is there a way to discourage it?)

Edited by author Sat Mar 17, '07 12:09pm PST

[notify]
Hannah *IN- LOVING- MEMORY*

There's no such- thing as to much- food!

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '07 3:49pm PST 
I think as long as you supervise, it's okay smile In fact, I encourage people to socialize the IGs they get from me with larger dogs. My iggies routinely run with whippets and greyhounds, and a good friend of mine owns a border collie that Hannah LOVES to play with! My mom also owns a collie/greyhound mix that I let my iggies play with. I would never leave them together unsupervised, but as long as you're watching, especially where she's not that much larger, I don't see a problem smile
[notify]
Doby - AAA,AACR

Gang way here I- come !

Barked: Thu May 10, '07 10:27am PST 
Letting your IG play with larger dogs should be no problem as long as you know the larger dog and that they will not hurt your IG. Always supervise your dogs, large or small. We have 2 large Greyhounds and a German Shepherd with 2 Iggy's. They all play together but sometimes the larger dogs forget they are playing with smaller guys so they can be a little rougher. This is where the supervision comes into play because you may need to slow down their play. Wooffff!!!snoopy
[notify]

Keelie

Wanna Race?

Barked: Tue May 15, '07 5:10pm PST 
[QUOTE] I think as long as you supervise, it's okay smile In fact, I encourage people to socialize the IGs they get from me with larger dogs. My iggies routinely run with whippets and greyhounds, and a good friend of mine owns a border collie that Hannah LOVES to play with! My mom also owns a collie/greyhound mix that I let my iggies play with. I would never leave them together unsupervised, but as long as you're watching, especially where she's not that much larger, I don't see a problem [OUOTE]

I agree.
[notify]
Enzo

'Momma's Boy'

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 12:06pm PST 
Personally I don't like the idea of my dogs playing with large breed dogs. For me it is like the dog park little dog section 30 lbs or less is about our free play limit.

Even in that I never let my dogs play unattended. If I knew the owner of a laid back big dog and we were both there to make sure they could play nice, I would consider it. But even then I just see too much risk in letting my 11 and 17 lb dogs play with one that was that much bigger and heavier.

In your case the dogs live together and the bigger one may not be much over 30 lbs. While there is still a change that it could hurt the iggies; it is less as long as the dogs get along and are never left unattended.

Good luck smile
[notify]
Jacque

I can only go 2- speeds fast, and- faster!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 12:59pm PST 
okay well hannah is my cousin and keelie is her dog and jacque (30 pounds) and her get along great keelie takes him on like she twice his size i think as long as their supervised it will be fiine!

not an ig but i hope i could help.
[notify]
Just A- Little Faith

An Amazing- Miracle Dog!

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '07 3:34am PST 
Our IGs share our home with a couple large breed rescues, and Cane Corso Italiano (Italian Mastiff) dogs. Our large dogs average between 95-125 lbs each. Each of our large dogs understands that they must be gentle with the little ones, and the IGs love to "run with the big dogs" and romp and play! When resting, they little ones will usually sleep on top of the big dogs - Faith can frequently be found sitting on one of them at any given point in time. All our pups are accustomed to the large dogs with socialization beginning at about 6 weeks of age, and progressing as they mature. They grow up very accustomed to the big dogs, and are very confident around them with no real fear, worry, or intimidation. Other IGs we have brought in as adults have been reasonable simple to accustom to the large dogs, though they seem a little more reserved about interacting with them even after settling in and accepting them. The IGs we have raised with the large dogs are fearless with them, they will romp and run with the mastiffs, boss them around, and take food right from their mouths! In fact, one of the ultimate IG hangouts is near a mastiff who is crunching thru a bone, they drop perfect Iggy-bite-size pieces for the little ones to snack on!
We feed fresh raw beef bones weekly, and the Corsos will flip up a rib bone and crunch straight thru the whole thing in a matter of minutes - the IGs love to steal the small pieces that the big dogs drop - often brave and fearless enough to take them right out of the mastiff's mouth!

------------------------
~Laura
www.JustALittleFaith.com
[notify]
Hazen

Huger'er'er than- Hype!

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '07 9:18pm PST 
The only time my boys would be able to actually play with another dog would be at a play date (and those I only choose Iggy play dates) and the dog park- of which I choose the small dog side- occasionally someone will for whatever their reasoning will bring in a big dog (and not handicapped) and I will pack up my things and go- I don't think its worth the chances on a broken leg- the pain and the bill. Better safe than sorry-and it's not just size that matters it is weight- if there is a HUGE difference, it's likely my 11 lb and 8 lb iggies will be the ones getting hurt.
[notify]