GO!

just made a big batch but.......

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
CHARLIE

Aint I cute?

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 11:05am PST 
I made a huge batch of crock pot food my 4 guys. I used 7 lbs of chicken thighs and a variety of fruits and veggies. was under the impression that if the bones were cooked long enough they would crumble. Well I have had them cooking for 19 hours and they are still very hard...... SO what can I do to add some calcium and how much? I took everything else out a few hours ago and still have the bones cooking in the crockpot but I am not too confident that they will soften.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 1:51pm PST 
1/2 tsp of powdered eggshell per pound of meat works fine. If you have bone meal of course that would be better yet, whatever comes out to 900mg of calcium per pound of meat.

Hope the bones soft up, if this works it is a very nice not to waste those bones.

Unless you are adding 1x the weight of the chicken in other meaty stuff you only need 1/2 of the bone of those thighs anyway. Thighs are supposed to be about 20% bone and a raw fed dog needs 10% bone on average for nutrition.
[notify]
CHARLIE

Aint I cute?

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:09pm PST 
thanks Maxwell, I still have them cooking in the crock pot. do you think I should just keep them cooking until they get soft? I'll give it a few more hours. If they don't soften up, I'll use the egg shells or try to find bone meal..... thanks again
[notify]

CHARLIE

Aint I cute?

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:13pm PST 
thanks Maxwell, I still have them cooking in the crock pot. do you think I should just keep them cooking until they get soft? I'll give it a few more hours. If they don't soften up, I'll use the egg shells or try to find bone meal..... thanks again
[notify]
CHARLIE

Aint I cute?

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:37pm PST 
[notify]
CHARLIE

Aint I cute?

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 2:37pm PST 
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 9:00pm PST 
Bumping to kill spambots...again
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Sep 19, '13 1:41pm PST 
Thanks Flicka!

Might as well try to get the bones soft but it isn't going to make or break the food you have made up if it doesn't work out, just powder some egg shell this time and maybe get some bone meal for next time.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 1:10pm PST 
Bumping yo drown spambots .....again
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 6:47am PST 
Bumping yo drown spambots .. AGAIN
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)