GO!

Diarrhea when switching proteins?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 3:48am PST 
I alternate K on turkey and beef, with occasional days of tuna and an egg throw in here and there. He'll eat one protein for about two weeks and then we switch. Does your dog get diarrhea when you switch protein sources?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 4:01am PST 
Sassy just got chicken and rice flavored with other proteins and no problems at all. Max gets a bit of this and a bit of that most days and no problem.

Is this real diarrhea or just yucky poo?

Maybe cook up the batch a couple days before the last batch is done and mix it together for a couple days to ease the transition?

Or alternate more often. I had a couple of epic cooking sessions for Sassy and made up pork, beef and lamb flavored chicken and rice at the same time so she could have different flavors every day for several months and she was fine with that. Made up food loaves, cut into daily rations, froze and bagged them up. Not sure she really cared but it was neat giving a dog that took 2 months to get used to a new kibble different food every day - even though it wasn't really that different.
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 6:57am PST 
More frequent, unformed or liquid stool, some farting. (Sorry to be so descriptive.)

I never heard anyone doing homemade having to transition when switching proteins, although on kibble everyone talks about transition as important, so I wanted to check.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 11:49am PST 
The only time I didn't mix the old and new together was when the dogs were sick from a fast food hamburger. Plenty of mess anyway, no point in trying mix the two as clearly the old food wasn't helping the situation at all.

I would put him on a limited ingredient diet, one meat and one veggie or starch for stool bulk. Try different amounts of the plant part of the food to see if he responds to more or less fiber.

Sassy was quite dainty, no gas ever. She specialized in having overfull anal sacs that needed attention when she was on kibble. Guess that is less worrying than gas and nasty stool if stinky. Homecooked stuff really agreed with her and that nearly ceased to be a problem. Max has had gas and is greatly offended when his gut acts up like that. He will get it if I overfeed him or give too much fat or organ. He will have increasingly soft and frequent stool if I over feed him too.

So you might also try feeding less food. If he gets skinny then try feeding more often. Sassy had giant soft stool when I tried to fatten her up by increasing her feed and even vomited extra food when I did the same when I cooked when she was very old but if I fed her 3-5x a day she kept the food down and gained a bit of weight. Her stool on cooked chicken and white rice was nearly as small as raw fed Max's even though she got twice the calories.

Both dogs would have early morning bile vomits when they were on kibble if I didn't give them a bedtime snack. I am amazed that I can feed Max once a day and not give him a snack and no more bile vomits! Right diet for this dog I guess. Am glad he is better now and sorry I didn't have the resources to investigate the problem more back then.
[notify]