GO!

Better in the Raw

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 7:05am PST 
Is anyone familiar with this? I'm convinced that my boys aren't getting all their needs met with just meat, bones, organs. But any kind of multivitamin supplement will add WAY too much of some and not enough of others. I've played around with that spreadsheet thing until my eyeballs are bleeding, and absolutely everything I enter throws the B vitamins (for example) into the several-hundred percent range and very little vitamin E (for example). I cannot get a balance to save my soul and am about ready to give up.

Okay. That was probably too much information. Back to the original question. Does anyone use or know anything about Better in the Raw? Or Know
Better Dog Food, the version for cooked diet?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 9:12am PST 
I just add some vitamin E! It is fine to have far more than needed of some nutrients, B vitamins are definitely just fine x1000% of requirement. As far as I know the only one you have to worry about is niacin which can make you flush when megadosed. Even A can be way over without a problem, really.

Ask for a complete analysis and put it into your ND as a custom food and see what happens. It has rice bran, a good source of several B vitamins, potassium and magnesium but will also add a lot of phosphorus and whey with calcium and some B vitamins. I would love to have an analysis of barley grass, it has eluded me so far. Bet it will fill some holes part way and overfill other holes.

Here is my ND entry for Nupro for instance.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1219557/2
It isn't meant to balance a raw diet but does a nice job for a cooked diet. See any E? The company didn't enter anything. It would help a little for zinc and manganese, offer way too much iron and be a big help in the magnesium department. I suspect BITR would come out the same sort of way.

You are looking for zinc, manganese, magnesium and E for sure in a basic PMR diet. Riboflavin and potassium may also be low in your diet.

I supplement E and zinc with human grade capsules and am currently using green tripe as a manganese and magnesium source. Since they are minerals they wouldn't be destroyed if you must use canned tripe. E is found in stuff like wheat germ oil if you want to use whole foods. Max is doing very nicely on the tripe but I will buy more mineral supplement and add that in to see if he is even better with more.

I do see improvements in Max's condition when I mind the Ps and Qs. The most amazing one is the cyst on top of his head. When he is getting enough fish oil it goes way down. I can barely feel it right now! Minerals seem to impact his coat, it is longer and thicker and richer in color when he is getting enough.
[notify]
Kody

Is it time to- eat now?

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 9:49am PST 
I got some Nupro but I've been afraid to use it yet. My problem is that the nutritional break down I got from them is for a 3 scoop serving (that's 3 tablespoons) but I got the "small dog" container with the scoop being only 1 tsp .... I just can't seem to do the math. The things you've mentioned ... E, magnesium, manganese, and zinc ... seem to be the most lacking. I understand about the B vitamins being water soluble and thus will pee out any excess, but the A overage concerns me. Almost every combo I've entered has been MAJOR over on the A.

For an example, I did a recipe with just pork loin and pork heart. Just those 2 things, when I click on the "Tracking" whatsit, niacin is 805%, thiamine 749%, and B6 805%. A small scoop of Nupro throws those things into the 1750-2200% range and A goes to 435% and not nearly enough E .... etc, etc.

I keep seeing you post that Max's diet is NRC balanced but I just can't get there. And I realize every meal doesn't need to belanced and that's not what I'm going for, but .... well, I just don't know. I'm extremely frustrated. Am I over thinking? Obsessing much?
[notify]

Maxwell

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 11:23am PST 
Pork is very high in thiamin, other meats have more of something else. Try doing a weekly or monthly diet rather than daily and you should see things level out more. And those levels are just fine. I want those minerals to be ~100-125% of NRC but except for D which needs to be less than 5x requirement I don't worry about overdoing vitamins.

Do contact Better in the Raw, it could be what you are looking for.
[notify]
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 12:44pm PST 
So on the spreadsheet, if I multiply the dogs' weight x7 and then enter those numbers in preferences at SND, the tracking results will maybe be less shocking?!? You're very patient. I thank you big hug
[notify]
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 2:50pm PST 
What do you think of Animal Essentials Herbal MVit? If you think of it at all. It doesn't have nearly as much in it as Nupro, and its EFA appear to come from flax and chia rather than fish, but it does have more E (if I did conversion right) and covers manganese better. Still kicks B vits over daily requirements but overall the numbers look a bit better ... to my ignorant self.

http://www.k9power.com/animal-essentials-herbal-multi-vitamin-mi nerals.html
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 5:06pm PST 
That one might have too much copper in it. Not enough zinc and they don't mention magnesium at all. Ask about it. Max would need more zinc and I couldn't feed him any copper rich beef liver with the stuff.

Keep searching, better you than me. I have put this in my bookmarks as possible supplements to use with fresh foods!

Edited by author Sat Mar 9, '13 5:11pm PST

[notify]
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 9:43am PST 
I'm calling uncle confused
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 3:55pm PST 
Drat! It is so hard to find such things.

Before you call uncle do compare your raw diet with or without those supplements to a good quality kibble. You will find that they aren't balanced to NRC levels either.
[notify]
Pepper,Littl- e Duke,- KoaKoa

If it's in the- yard, I'll catch- it.

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 1:01am PST 
Hi,
We used the better in the raw from know better dog food for 2 years and the dogs did not do very well on it at all, it was very expensive and does not have all they need. My vet was not impressed. We went back to just Raw and they all have returned to normal.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2