GO!

Salmon Crack Dog Treats - They're so good...they're crack for dogs. :D

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 9:09am PST 
Works with liver too. Add a bit of garlic to cut the smell. I don't know which is worse liver or fish cookies smelling up the house! I know too much garlic probably isn't good for dogs but this is only cookies used for training.

You can run a pizza cutter through it to make sticks and only bake it until it is a bread like dough that is terrific for pinching off and easy to keep in your hand or very labor intensive roll, cut with a tiny canape cutter, bake until crispy and it comes out like an oyster cracker all puffy.

I love that I usually have the ingredients to make this sort of treat, simple and yummy!

Alas Max gets giant eye goobers from wheat so I haven't made this for years.
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:14pm PST 
Thanks for all the variations!!! It's fun to see what can be made with only eggs, flour and a ground meat. I had never thought of gravy in it though. Hmmm....

I have heard of "fish fudge," and the recipe is a bit similar. Isn't "fish fudge" more moist and thick, Saya?

Maxwell, you can make this with alternate, no wheat flour I'm sure. I know one person is using oat flour.

Rigby, let us know how your dog likes it!!! smile
[notify]
ATCH Tika RA- CL3

Mine?

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 5:43am PST 
Been using a similar recipe for years - I had always used oat flour, but lately it has been oatmeal ground up in the coffee grinder. Works just fine & is significantly cheaper lol!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 12:17pm PST 
Does it come out crispy or soft?

Thanks for the recipe!
[notify]
Peter Parker

It's good to be- the King!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 7:12pm PST 
Love this! Going to give it a try this weekendcheercheercheer
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:47pm PST 
Omg. I must try this. I'm almost tempted to make it now, but don't have all the stuff, lol.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 8:53pm PST 
Success! My dogs LOVE IT.

I actually went an extra step though and added approx. two tablespoons of reduced-sodium chicken broth too. I also made them crunchy.

Ria is going NUTS for it, and nearly SNAPS my fingers off trying to get it.

I will DEFINITELY be making these again. Thanks for the recipe!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 9:25pm PST 
I'm not so sure if mine turned out right. Mine are moist on the bottom/inside and very crunchy on top. I cut them into squares that I can rip bits off of, but they have a weird texture. My two aren't sure about them. They hesitate a lil and then chompchompchomp.. Dunno if this is good or bad LOL
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 10:58am PST 
Nare - mine turned out similarly to yours(I think I added too little flour?), as my pan was too small and they ended up thicker and thus, moister inside and on the bottom. What I did, was broke them up into the sizes I wanted, then threw them back in the oven to bake for a bit longer and give them a good CRUNCH cause I wanted crunchy treats instead. They DO have a weird texture though. I think that's normal for the ingredients they have. That said, I was a little worried at first because my dough was fairly sticky, and I likely could have added more flour. But again, I shredded them into pieces, threw them in the oven again and let the moisture get pulled out of them that way. I just made sure to flip them and mix them around every few minutes so they didn't burn or over cook.

My two weren't sure at first either, until they got a taste and figured out "YUM!" lol. They definitely liked them more crunchy.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 12:13pm PST 
Lol! I thought maybe I added too much. But I know nothing about baking and don't really know what impacts what. My dough was really sticky too.. But it always is. I live at a high altitude so it is either make the treats 80% flour or deal with it. big laugh After my post I decided to salt them (helps with moisture I think?) and throw them back in for 15 minutes and I also achieved a crunchier texture that didn't crumble. smile Nare is a bit more crazy over them now!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3