GO!

Recipe using Fish, or anything other than Turkey/Chicken?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 6:19pm PST 
I was wondering if anyone has a nutritionally balanced recipe for a meal using fish, or if not, something other than turkey or chicken - and perhaps not even duck, as it's related to turkey, I guess. I have been trying to find a food for my dog, who may have food allergies.

I know about nutritiondata.com, but don't think I'd be able to figure out to create a recipe on there.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 7:13pm PST 
http://nutrition.tripawds.com/2010/03/23/high-protien-low-fat-dog-fo od-recipe-from-the-canine-ancestral-diet/

How about this one? It is 12 ounces of cooked rice, not 12 ounces of raw rice that you cook. I don't care for the directions for feeding in the link. I have the book and it reads it is 1000 calories total and doesn't give how much to feed what dog. The various fats are to balance the recipe to Mr. Brown's theory of a dog's ancestral diet. I would add them in if you have them but without them it would be okay.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 7:28am PST 
Thank. I tried to take a look at got a "404" page notice. Do you know if you have to be signed up for the blog or anything like that to access part of the site? I'll try again later today when I have more time. In the mean time, thanks much for your suggestion, Maxwell.

Also, as an add-on question to my original post, do you know if it's OK (assume so) to feed some raw food with some cooked food, and to feed some raw food with kibble? I'm exploring my options if I don't think I can keep up home cooking, and Honest Kitchen is looking better and better. The "Zeal" food looks good to me. It has fish (cooked) and other ingredients, which I assume are their usual uncooked and then dehydrated foods. If I used Zeal, I would have to transition from kibble, hence the question about whether I can feed two different types of foods at the same time, at least for a while.
[notify]

Maxwell

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:56am PST 
Find the tricky space that is in there > "fo od". I found that online by searching brown straus dog diet or some such thing. I knew they made up several recipes together that were published in WDJ and was hoping they were online.

Some dogs tolerate some raw and some don't. I suspect some of that is human error. Remember what a meal on raw would be and don't give more than that. If Max was on kibble/raw he would get 75 grams of most kibbles and 140 grams of raw meat and organ where a full feed of kibble is 150 grams and a full raw feed is 280 grams. Probably not much bone as kibble is so high in calcium already. If you did feed half and half always then you could alternate bony and meat raw meals.

THK sounds like a good place to start if you are sure it isn't veggies and such that bother him.

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 10:01am PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 3:12pm PST 
Not meaning to highjack your thread, but wanted to ask a quick question. I have the book this is from, and frankly it makes my eyeballs rotate in opposite directions trying to understand it. I'm not really all about recipes, but if I DID want to try some in the book, he never specifies the vitamin E used in all of them. I mean, I thought he was all about getting nutrients from natural sources as much as possible, mentions various nuts and seeds that contain vitamin E but then uses drops in his recipes. I've YET to find a vitamin E supplement that wasn't derived from soy. Max, you seem to be the go-to guy around here. Any suggestions?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 4:14pm PST 
Max is just taking one with soy, huge bottle that looks to be a lifetime supply. He seems okay with it but I am sure soy free would be better. Google it. 2,000,000 hits for soy free vitamin E out there - some must be vendor sites! I wouldn't add it until serving the food anyway. I know you are supposed to add fish oil when serving, suspect vitamin E might be better fresh as well.

The book is driving me bonkers too but I am glad to have it. Perhaps if I put it under my pillow the info will get into my head faster.
[notify]
Kacy

Feed me! Feed- me!

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 8:19pm PST 
Book under my pillow? Hadn't thought of that. Couldn't hurt. About the only thing I've got from it so far (maybe), is to add different oil to different meats. K&K have had awful dry, flaky, itching skin since being on raw (7-8 months or there about). I kept thinking they needed more FO (to offset O6 in grocery store meats), but the problem persisted. That's the reason I got the book, wanted to read his "balancing fats" concept. So I've completely stopped FO, add hemp seed (or oil) to ruminant, chia seed (or flax but prefer chia) with poultry, and feed sardines or anchovies 3-4 day a week, and ... knock on wood ... the itching has all but stopped. Their skin still looks pretty dry, but they're scratching very little; no more red, raw, almost bleeding sore spots. I'm hoping it's not just a fluke. Sorry. Now I really HAVE highjacked thread. My bad.
[notify]