GO!

My new recipe - Is it good?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Sophie

I'm sweet but- sassy!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 8:18am PST 
I made up a little something today after reading & researching what is & what isn't good for my Sophie.

Soft cooked carrots, soft greens & tuna all mixed together (2 cans of tuna.) I would feed her this once a day in the evening. Also oatmeal & eggs or rice & stew for her morning meal.

Please let me know if all sounds well. (Also what fish is good for her?) Thanks! & Also should I go from feeding her twice a day to once a day?

Here is a pic of my newest recipe! smile

http://i45.tinypic.com/20rwj9y.png

Edited by author Thu Aug 16, '12 8:24am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 12:29pm PST 
That looks yummy - if you are a dog. Bet she loved it.

Tuna isn't the best choice of fish. It tends to have more mercury than some other choices, better to feed it once a week at most. Salmon or mackerel might be better. There are many mercury calculators on the web, this is the one I happen to have bookmarked.
http://www.gotmercury.org/article.php?list=type&type=75

Fish is great low fat protein but it is low in essential minerals like iron and zinc. Red meats like beef, lamb and pork have more of those essential nutrients. I would prefer to feed these in preference to lots of fish and poultry like chicken.

Canned fish is likely very high in sodium and dogs don't have much of a requirement for sodium in the first place. 100 grams of canned light meat tuna might have about twice the sodium my 38 pound dog likes in about 1/5 the calories and 1/2 the protein he needs each day. Too much sodium may or may not be an issue with your dog. Max has had a heart murmur scare so I try to keep it down.

Saving the most important point for last. If you read the link I posted on your other thread you saw that calcium content is a major difference in dog nutrition. My 38 pound dog needs as much calcium as an adult human! Next time you cook those eggs save the shells. Bake them so they are good and brittle and powder them in a mortar and pestle or old coffee bean grinder into a fine powder. The powder from one shell is enough calcium to balance 2 pounds of cooked meat/fish/egg or measure 1/2 tsp per pound of meat fed. It doesn't sound like much but it is very important.

It is fine to feed the nice stuff you have for now. Just try to learn more about the way to feed your dog and keep making changes until you are sure she is getting all the protein, fat, minerals and vitamins she needs for optimal health. See Sedona's thread, Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps on how to work to make the food even better for her.
[notify]