GO!

I need some advice on home cooked meals for my dog please :)

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 5:52am PST 
Mikey is my slight crazy 4 y.o chi x silky terrier. We adopted him when he was 9 month old and since that first month we had issues with him randomly throwing up and having diarrhea. After numerous trips to the vet over the past few years and antibiotics and been told he had virus's we finally found a vet who said mikey most likely has food sensitivities. She recommended science diet but he refuses to eat it. So I have been cooking him minced up chicken breast and pasta or rice and other weeks beef mince with rice or pasta. He has been so much better since coming of processed stuff but I worry he isn't getting all the nutrients he needs. Dose anyone have some recipes that aren't to rich (kangaroo mince) and fatty, as they seem to be his main trigger to been sick. Any advice would be awesome smile thanks so much smile *oh he does eat lucky dog dry food, not that much as he's not keen on it but it's the only one he will eat. I've spent a small fortune on different dry foods for him but the crazy little chap won't have a bar of it! smile*

Edited by author Mon May 14, '12 5:59am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 7:13am PST 
That's great that your cooking isn't upsetting his tummy!

The most crucial difference between canine and human food is calcium. My 38 pound dog requires the same amount as I do and I sure weigh more than 38 pounds! Wild dogs eat some bone for calcium. You can simply take an egg shell, powder it as fine as you can and add 1/2 measuring teaspoon [not a tableware spoon] to 1 pound meat weight before cooking. It is a tiny amount that adds 900 mg of calcium to the food.

I am not much of a fan of rigid recipes, would rather feed what is cheap at the market today. I work up Max's raw diet often and it doesn't really matter exactly what goes in as long as I keep to a few basics, same for cooked food. Mostly meat, most of that meat red, a bit of liver and a bit of fish or fish oil. Feed grains to fill calories if using super lean meat but low calorie veggies are better.

See Sedona's thread down the page here on dogster - Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps - for how to make up your own recipe. See dogaware for a virtual book on how to feed dogs fresh food. See B-Naturals newsletters on dog nutrition as well.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html#cooked
http://www .b-naturals.com/newsletter/cooked-diet/

I would be very uncomfortable feeding dogs less than half meat by wet weight. That means 1 pound of raw meat to 1/3 pound of raw rice or other dry grain like oatmeal. Rice triples in weight cooked.

I would prefer to feed at 3/4 of the diet as meat, egg, fish, organ in as much variety as I can find in my budget. I would prefer to have the 1/4 veggie material be leafy or stem vegetables rather than starchy veggies or grains. That can cost more as grains and starchy veggies provide cheap calories and if the dog cannot tolerate fat it would be difficult to get enough calories into the food so feed starchy stuff if you must!

Since your dog has a sensitive tummy dogster Aina suggests to use a mixture of equal parts sweet potato, white potato and turnip instead of rice. Might look into that, working it in slowly of course!
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Home_Prepared_Food_Recipes/th read/707838/last

We had a good discussion on foods to avoid feeding dogs as well a while back. It is a short list but some healthy foods for humans can be deadly for dogs.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Home_Prepared_Food_Recipes/thre ad/704318

I would add in about 1 ounce of beef or lamb liver and 1 ounce of fatty fish like salmon, sardine or mackerel per pound of meat as well. I would prefer to feed red meats like beef, pork and lamb to chicken as they are richer in mineral and vitamin content. Kangaroo is a fine choice, looks to be comparable to beef or lamb.

Don't just throw them in though. Buy the stuff, cook and freeze in future meal sized bits. To add, mix in the tiniest bit you can first day and see what happens and work up to the full amount of each separately over at least a week. Do the same with any new food you want to try. I changed Sassy's food by 10% of meat or starch every four days and after I was done she could switch between pork and potato and beef and pasta just fine. You may find that your dog can tolerate 25% of the fatty meat along with the lean chicken just fine and 1/3 of the diet is best rice and veggies and broccoli suits but celery is a disaster if you just start with a tiny amount and work up. Sassy informed me that foods were too much by getting mucous in her stools and I would go back to what worked. Your dog may start with bile vomits or gassy tummy or ?
[notify]