GO!

Links to Get Started on Home Cooking!

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ruby

I'm a lover not- a fighter

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 1:49am PST 
Hi Dogsters,

I'd like to get started on home cooking for my dogs, two of which are seniorssmile

Please send any links or recommended books so our Mom can learn how to do this properly for us!

She thought about using the pre-mixes from SOJO's where you just add meat, but the 2 seniors have heart murmurs and these tend to have high salt and sodium contentfrown

Thanks,
Ru Crew
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:46am PST 
What about The Honest Kitchen?

Look through the B-Naturals newletters. Oodles of info on feeding fresh food. I learned so much there.
http://www.b-naturals.com/index.php?main_page=newsletters

For a whole library on ways to feed fresh see dogaware's nutrition pages. The good thing is there are a bazillion great ways to feed fresh to your pets and the bad news is you have to decide which one suits!
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html
[notify]
Indi

Top Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 11:06am PST 
B-Naturals low glycemic home cooked diets. My dogs, including 2 seniors
have been on these recipes for over a month now. One is a diabetic. Both were having incontinence issues. Lady hasn't had a leaking problem in 3 weeks and Indi's BC has been more stable than ever before. She doesn't have the ups and downs that she had when on other foods, no matter how expensive they were.

After 4 weeks on these recipes Indi hasn't had an incontinent accident in 5 days. This is amazing to me since I was washing dog beds twice daily before.

I have switched dog kibbles and canned foods several times and initially saw some success with some of our issues but eventually one thing or another would go down hill. I balked at the home cooked diet because I thought it would take up too much time. But when I count in the time it took me on a weekly basis to run out of town to have access to good dog food choices, I don't think I'm spending that much more time cooking.

Now, I have a new, fun hobby. Its interesting to search the shops for whatever meats are on sale and to tweak each new batch of dog food for variety.
[notify]

Indi

Top Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 11:35am PST 
Oh, and I didn't even mention how well my jrt/pug mix is doing on HC. I always thought she was allergic to chicken, then it was fish, whatever. Hot spots, every couple of months, then UTI's, then yeast. Please. Now that she's on these recipes, NO issues with any kind of protein source. I theorize now that it must have been processed food in general. It is so wonderful to see her lying down peacefully with no scratching and itching.

And my 9 month old pup.............well, he just glows.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 2:28pm PST 
That low glycemic diet is what I would put Max on if possible if he ever needs a cooked diet. I wish I could have put Sassy on it but she needed 50% more calories but didn't tolerate much fat when she was getting on so I needed to give her high calorie low phosphorus grains to get calories into her.

So glad it is helping. I was very surprised that fresh food improved my dogs' conditions so much. Max apparently needs huge amounts of fat and protein for good muscle tone and fur health so raw is perfect for him. He also became more sensible with super low carbs. Sassy needed more protein and less fat than the prescription kidney diet foods so I did my best to cook it up for her. The really weird thing was Sassy's anal sacs. She had needed them emptied monthly for 13 years on chicken and rice kibble and on home cooked chicken and rice the problem nearly stopped. With the anal sac health's improvement she also had less body and breath odor!
[notify]
Tessa-Marie- (In Loving- Memory)

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 7:23pm PST 
I've been feeding my dogs an entirely homemade diet for 20+ years and I base my dogs diet on that in Dr. Richard Pitcairn's book Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs and Cats. This is my bible for feeding my dogs. I've used it to feed my pets as large as St. Bernard's and now Tessa-Marie my Cocker and Martin my Shih Tzu. I swear by this book! Hope this helps!
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 10:24pm PST 
This is for links!!! Just kidding.

One of the oldies but goodies.

Many books can be looked at before buying on Amazon if you sign in. This is one of them. Here is a LINK. Hehe.
http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Complete-Guide-Natural-Health /dp/157954973X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331014686&sr=8-1
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 3:46am PST 
BARF diet is really good. I've tried it, and you'll see the difference. Switch to a raw diet even for a week or two. The dogs will be more active, and they don't smell that much! Raw meat is what dogs are biologically capable to eat. Their digestive system is completely the same as that of wolves. Wolves don't eat home-cooked meals.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 9:04am PST 
Dogs are 'biologically capable' of eating cooked meat. Many dogs do great on an all raw diet, but there are some dogs that don't do well on raw. There are quite a few medical conditions that improve with a homecooked diet, where raw isn't tolerated as well.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 10:40am PST 
This is very helpful. I've been dabbling for a while now...want to do this full time!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2