GO!

Laws/regulations for selling home made dog food?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 9:04am PST 
So I've been kind of interested in selling batches of home made dog food since I started cooking for my dogs a few years ago. Injust didn't think there would be much of a market for it. But I've talked to some people at work who buy home made food from people in other counties.
So now I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any regulation on selling home made dog food. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 10:17am PST 
Maybe with your state ag. department?
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 11:39am PST 
I'm trying to look into that right now. Does anyone here know of anyone else who sels home made pet food?
[notify]

Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 12:34pm PST 
There is a lady who sells homemade dog biscuits at our farmers market. smile Laws vary from country to country, province to province and state to statethinking
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 9:22am PST 
It all depends on state, but I believe most states require you to send samples of each recipe to a lab for guaranteed analysis (%protein,fat,moisture,etc). Some states also require that you create your food in a commercial kitchen.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 9:32am PST 
Charlie, but if you don't advertise it as "complete and balanced" or imply that a recipe is intended as sole diet for dogs, do you still have to do that?

I've seen dog treats and biscuits at farmer's markets and they never have that stuff marked on them, and the ice cream place I go to has little cups of "dog ice cream" without a GA or anything on it- I think you could squeak by without it if you label you product "for supplemental and intermittent feeding only".
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 1:04pm PST 
Yes. When I inquired about selling dog treats up in New York state, it was state law to have guaranteed analysis's done and have made your treats in a commercial kitchen. It's a little extreme for treats in my opinion, but you couldn't get around it (unless you didn't tell anyone wink ).
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 4:28pm PST 
The other problem is packaging. Here in NH anything marked with a weight MUST BE weighed on a State Inspected scale. The scale also has to meet their criteria.
I only know that because we used to sell bird seed by the pound. We no longer sell it because the scale they approved was going to be around $500.
I thought I was smart and used to write "approximately 5 lbs", but they wouldn't accept that, either.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 5:38pm PST 
what if you sell it by volume instead? Like "1 pint" "1 quart" "5 gallons" etc instead?
[notify]

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 8:14pm PST 
The only way that anyone is allowed to sell ANYTHING that is consumable, by humans or pets, it by getting a guaranteed food analysis, printed and labeled on all the product. This process can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 dollars.
[notify]