GO!

Begging! UGH!

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Aussie

Macho Mutt

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 11:40am PST 
My previously VERY well behaved dogs who never, ever begged for food now think that every time I walk into the kitchen it's to get them something to eat and they are always at my feet begging. It's driving me nutso!

We recently switched from kibble and they were never allowed table scraps so this is a fabulous new world for them and I get that but I can't take it! I've started making sure they are out of the house when I put their food in their bowls but it hasn't made a difference. Do they ever get over it and stop being so excited about eating? I can't be tripping over two big dogs every time I'm in the kitchen!
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 12:55pm PST 
There are a few things you can do for begging. You can teach them a place cue and have them go to a designated area when you go into the kitchen. You can do boundary training and keep them out of the kitchen completely while you are in there. You can also try ignoring the begging and only rewarding calm behavior in and around the kitchen.

My pups are always under foot in the kitchen as well. Usually they are pretty good in the kitchen now.

Edited by author Mon Nov 14, '11 12:57pm PST

[notify]
Aussie

Macho Mutt

Barked: Mon Nov 14, '11 7:18pm PST 
Yeah they use to have to be either in the living room or the hallway when we were in the kitchen or dining room but we took out the wall separating them recently and put down all hard wood floors so there's no physical line separating the rooms anymore.. they seem a tad confused lol But good idea, I think I will start making them go to "our" room (my office which they've taken over) whenever I'm preparing meals or we sit down to eat. smile
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 11:30am PST 
My daughter didn't like the dogs underfoot when she cooked so she trained them to go to the rug - livingroom, just outside the kitchen area. They could see her cook and she gave them occasional tidbits as the end result of the rug training. You could put a rug or dog bed where you want them to stay when you are eating or cooking or dealing with food or cleaning up and play or give them a treat after all the fun stuff is done. She thought the dogs enjoyed the cooking as much as the treats, called it dinner theater.

This morning I was packing up bins with meat, organ and bony stuff for raw fed Max. After all the bins were packed and labeled I rinsed the meat juice out of the bags and put into a tub. On cue Max got to go to the tub and have a nice meat juice drink. The whole 20 minutes I was was fussing with his meat he stayed watching from the rug. Nice. Been an 8 year journey!
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Nov 15, '11 11:49am PST 
Both my boys WERE beggers. My kitchen and living room is one big room divided by an island cabinet, so it's hard to keep them out of the kitchen. We trained them that when it's time for them to eat, instead of being under my feet, they have to get on the couch and wait. Once their bowls are ready and I raise them in the air, they can come and eat. If they get off the couch before the bowls are raised, the bowls go back on the counter and they go back on the couch for a minute or so and then we try it again. I even have them trained now that when 1 is done eating, he returns to couch without being told, and waits for the other to get done eating. This avoids them from stealing the others food. When it's time for me and my husband to eat, they automatically get on the couch and wait for us to get done. They know if they don't, they get put outside until we're done. This may sound mean making them get on the couch, but they have to be taught not to beg. It's not very nice when you have dinner guests.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 6:36am PST 
Hucky&Ringo,
We taught ours to sit quietly or lay quietly at our feet during mealtimes from the day they arrived here. It may seem cruel to some but,they know the rules and we and our guests eat in peace. We also taught our grandchildren not to feed them from the table which was actually more difficult. Now even with the kids here,they lay quietly at our feet even when something is dropped on the floor knowing that they will get their own meat when the meal is done. If it happens to be breakfast they are more than happy to wait for their share of eggs and bacon. We prepare their share with ours,and they see us put in in their dishes,then after the meal we can add to them if we'd like before giving it to them.
[notify]
Bogie

Have cats -- Will Chase!

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 10:32am PST 
A rug placed right outside the kitchen/dining area is a good 'boundary'. I have trained dogs to go lay there, as I will occassionally toss them bits of what I'm cooking as long as they are laying quietly. If they come into the kitchen -- no treats!

Consistancy is the key, as well as having everyone in the family on board. No cheating and giving in to those pleading eyes!!
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Mon Dec 26, '11 5:38pm PST 
Luckily our kitchen is big enough for a dog bed to be placed. Grunt lays on the dog bed never taking his eyes off of me. laugh out loud I never give him anything while I'm cooking. He will do a crumb check on the floor once in a while if I stop moving. When we eat he usually gets bored and goes outside. No human food for our pups here. flowers
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Tue Dec 27, '11 11:06pm PST 
How on earth can a well-behaved dog be seen as being a cruel owner??
I think what you guys do it great!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 12:54am PST 
Crash,
We have been told we are cruel for not feeding them with us or that we should feed them before we eat. For us the method we use of rewarding them for being well behaved by giving them their food only after they allow us to eat in peace has worked very well. We have been criticized for eating in front of them without giving them something,told our method is outdated and an alpha pack thing and it would be nicer to them to just put them outside so that they didn't have to watch us eat.They in our case also have the option to leave the diningroom and go to our room and eat kibble which we free feed ,they choose to stay with us and we feel that since they have never know another way they are fine.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2