GO!

homecookers...roll call?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Sat Sep 24, '11 11:52am PST 
Adam, in response to your post:

- the statement about dogs developing differently in different parts of the world references breed specific needs from another perspective

- the reference regarding carbs (soluble and insoluble) is great, especially since it references their misuse in commercially prepared foods. Previously obtained clinical nutrition data interpreted for financial use rather than healing. Guess that was bound to happen when the initial research is funded by particular companies for particular reasons.

- and the other reference regarding the use of fiber for firming stool is another great example of the allopathic approach to healing not always being the most appropriate. A client may be aware of only that single symptom (diarrhea), so then the allopathic approach treats the symptom rather than the underlying cause. There has been no real healing.

-TCMʻs approach is holistic with the entire beingʻs energetic constitution being taken in to account. For example, diarrhea may be one of many ways that an energetic imbalance in the heat and cool, dampness and dryness, yin and yang of a being presents itself. Where that imbalance is occurring, what season it occurs in, etc. is taken in to account as well. In TCM, food holds energetic qualities that affect the balance and is therefore medicinal. A being may need foods that are "cooling," including particular whole grains with "cooling" qualities. Another may need "warming" foods. The choice of which to combine is not based solely on a single symptom but a varied and fascinating presentation. The Ayurvedic approach takes a similar approach in reviewing the constitution of the being as well as the environment and season. No simple answer since both are complex approaches for the whole being.
[notify]
Ada

Gerberian- Shepsky

Barked: Sat Sep 24, '11 7:35pm PST 
We do part kibble (Pedigree), part raw (RMBs), and part home cooked! We have a lot of variety here!
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 8:11pm PST 
We do a partial home cook. At the moment He's on chicken, rice and vegies due to an upset tummy from eating some fertiliser at the dog school. Normally He'd be getting tinned fish with rice or kibble, chicken mince and rice/kibble/pasta, turkey mince with kibble, whole chicken breasts, gizzards & RMB's, mainly lamb shanks as he's allergic to beef. I can get kangaroo mince for cheap but he won't eat it. Dad grilled a pair of chicken breasts on the bbq for him on the weekend as a treat. He got a whole fried egg off the bbq as well which he wan't too sure on at first. Has anyone got a good recipe for dog biscuits that don't involve beef? I found a book at the library with dog recipes in them but the biscuit recipes had onion in themeek
[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 9:38am PST 
"Has anyone got a good recipe for dog biscuits that don't involve beef?"

I can't tell you if this is good haha...but my dogs like them.

I made this up so it's not real gourmet or anything:

2 cups flour (I like oat flour)
about a cup of water or however much water to make it a good dough, not too sticky.
Then you can either add in unsweetened applesauce, cream cheese, cereal crumbs (though cereal will make the cookie more crumbly), peanut butter, chicken broth, whatever. I add in up to 1/4 cup.
Preheat oven on 350F. Spoon teaspoon balls onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, or until you like if you want them harder.
Works for us lol!! If you want them to last longer, vitamin E or rosemary extract are natural preservatives but I don't know how much you would need to use exactly. Our cookies last for a couple weeks I guess.
[notify]
Christine

Peanut Butter- for Breakfast

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 4:55am PST 
Homecookers over here! Not a lot on here...but I think everybody is just busy cooking! laugh out loud
[notify]
Esther

Cattle Collie- Dog

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 5:42am PST 
Esther is fed on a home cooked diet. Before home cooked she was fed raw and was almost alway sick. Home cooked is the best!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 6:36am PST 
Well, I'm new to site and new to this forum, so here goes... I have 4 dogs - A beagle, 7 yo, a rescue boston mix, 4 yo, and a breeding pair of french bulldogs, 3 1/2 yo. My boston has always had severe allergies, tried wheat and grain free food and she has been on predisone for her whole life (also tried everything else under the sun to stop her scratching, even my vet is frustrated lol).
Anyway, about 10 weeks ago, my beagle (who has always been healthy) started showing signs of severe allergies which we ultimately traced back to her kibble - a limited ingredient very high end end product that very nearly killed her.
So, I threw out the store bought crap and began making my own dog food - I had done this once before a couple of years ago because of my boston (what one eats, they all eat) but gave it up because I didn't see any change. This time however, I am using my own recipe and it has turned out to be SO successful that my beagle has made a total recovery (I think she regressed all the way back to puppyhood lol) and even my boston is making huge strides towards living a scratch free life.
Here's what I put in my dog food (wet) - I start with meat, but I change it regularily, I use beef, chicken, fish, pork (only because I am adding new protein sources), liver (occaisonally), crocodile, venison, bison, ostrich, duck and kangaroo and then add vegetables - carrots, peas (just remember, peas are a protein source so I go easy on them), sweet potatoes (not white potatoes very often because they can cause arthritis issues and exacerbate any inflammation that the allergies have caused), green beans, blueberries, cranberries, spinach, yellow wax beans, pumpkin (also a great thickener for the "gravy") once in a while corn, apples, brocolli, cauliflower, various types of squash. Whenever possible with the veg, I use fresh but frozen is never a bad alternative. I also add green tripe with every third or fourth batch as an extra treat.
I rotate the meat source with each batch and mix up the veg - sometimes only adding one or two and sometimes adding as many as the pot will hold lol. I exclude all forms of dairy because most dogs are lactose intolerant and my male bulldog who has had vomiting issues since birth totally stopped vomiting when I removed the dairy so I took it as a clue and just cut it out completely. I also add either canola oil or sunflower oil but right now, no vitamin additives. My vet says the diet is varied enough that they should be getting everything they need without adding supplements. I am currently on the hunt for a good grain free kibble recipe and will share when I find one.
I cannot emphasize how much better all my dogs are doing now - all have high energy levels, their weight is now stable and optimal, they have shiny coats and bright eyes... clearly, I must be on to something because even my vet has noticed a huge difference. Bonus - no loose stools, and no stomach upsets and they LOVE what they are eating.
I admit, I go a little overboard when cooking for them (which I do weekly) and I go so far as to boil all bones, fat, and undigestable meat bits into a broth that I use for gravy which I thicken with a small amount of cornstarch. I spend about 4 hours preparing thier food and slow cook it, it's a lot of work, but like I said, it's only once a week, and it's well worth the effort. It also turned out that even adding in the exotic meats, I save a ton of money.

Edited by author Thu Nov 17, '11 6:45am PST

[notify]
Lucy

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 7:54am PST 
Oops.. I forgot to add that I include flaxseed in every batch.. if I can't get the whole seed, I use the milled. (this goes with the post above.. the guest one lol)

Edited by author Thu Nov 17, '11 7:54am PST

[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 4:10pm PST 
I don't cook full time, just too busy for that, but I do make a topper for my guys to use. Used to do canned a lot but it got to be too expensive, so we tried our hand at some home cooking (unbalanced since they only get a bit) but so far it's good smile I don't really use a recipe generally, just kind of make a stew. Take a cheap cut of eat, usually chicken legs/thighs and/or beef stew meat, and boil it until cooked. Remove skin/bones, drain out most of the fat, add various veggies/fruit (typically sweet potatoes, kale, parsley, apples, carrots, and green beans, but really whatever we have that makes a good addition. Cook with the meat, add some oats or brown rice (not a lot, just enough to thicken) blend with the immersion blender, and freeze in batches. The guys love it, and it's a lot cheaper then using cans all of the time way to go We make a lot of treats and stuff, too, also don't really use a recipe, just basic guidelines from lots and lots of trials. Cooking for pups is fun, cheaper, and easy smile
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4