GO!

What vegtables are safe to eat and how much to feed.

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Black

DeMamma and my- boy and me makes- a team

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 10:29pm PST 
I made up some food today as I have surplus of groceries this month but no money for dog food. I am giving them 1/2 of their dry food and just put alot of the homemade food with it. I am thinking of continuing this in the future. I fixed brown rice,beef roast and some chicken leftovers with carrots and zuchini. I cooked the vegtables in chicken broth. The amounts are about 1/3 of each food source. I have a large amount of rice that I am given so figure to use it. I have a garden planted and figure to use squash and pumpkins. Are peppers, eggplant, beans and okra ok for dogs? What about tomatoes and melons? How do I know how much to give the dogs? My standard poodle will only eat so much but the hound will eat herself sick. I just got her to a good weight and do not want her to gain or lose. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by author Mon Jun 27, '11 10:30pm PST

[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 8:44am PST 
IMO vegetables aren't at all necessary, but that's because I feed PM (Prey Model). Prey model is 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ. When I fed partial raw to Cookie, it was more "in addition to" than anything (I only fed raw to her sometimes) so I didn't bother to calculate how much raw to feed her.
I imagine that if you plan on it being a more consistent part of the diet you'd calculate what to feed based on a smaller percentage of the dog's weight than you would if you fed full raw. 2% or 3% percent is typical for full raw, so if I were feeding partial raw again I'd probably go with 1% or .05% and if I found that I needed to increase or decrease it, I would.

I think BARF (Bones and Raw Food, AKA Biologically Appropiate Raw Food), the camp of raw feeders that do feed vegetables, say to feed 3% vegetable. But don't quote me on that. And I'm not sure what veggies are acceptable. I'm pretty sure beans are okay.

Edited by author Tue Jun 28, '11 8:48am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 9:23am PST 
All the veggies you have listed are fine. I wish you could stretch your budget so the food you cook is half meat and half grains/veggies but that is how it goes, right? Like Cookie wrote, meat is where it is at. If I was forced to feed [currently prey model raw fed] Max cooked food I would be doing 75% meat/organ/fish/egg+25% pureed low glycemic index veggies if possible.

Make sure the tomato family veggies are ripe though, you know the leaves are poisonous and green parts have the same poison. Not sure about green pepper but green tomatoes aren't good for dogs. Once feed veggies that are safe for your family. Doesn't have to be the best quality but needs to be fresh.

Measure cooked grain, not raw otherwise you would be feeding a lot more rice than you thought you were.

Don't put too much of a new veggie into the food until you know they will eat it, that could be a lot of wasted food!

Either cook them until mushy or puree them otherwise they won't get any nutrition from them. Make sure that rice is super over cooked too. I actually wonder if white rice isn't better for dogs, there was a study done at Davis and dogs on whole grains and lamb kibble were low in blood taurine.
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmb/aal/pdfs/Delaney.pdf

Since you are adding a lot of homemade food to the kibble you might want to add 1/2 tsp of powdered egg shell for calcium per pound of meat fed. Dogs need lots of calcium and this is easy and cheap if you ever eat fresh eggs.

I made up recipes and weighed the raw ingredients to know exactly how many calories was in the food. Since the water content changes the cup measure so much it is difficult to figure otherwise. Perhaps you could do raw measures and add it all up using the information on nutritiondata.com, then cook that up and measure how many cups it comes to? If your cooked food comes to 400 calories a cup and your dog eats 2 cups of 350 kibble a day then you might feed a scant cup of cooked food and a cup of kibble a day. And if the dogs get fluffy, feed less, if they get ribby feed more. You just need a starting out place, maybe doing the numbers once would be enough.
[notify]

Black

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 11:29am PST 
Thank you for your responses. I can not feed any meat raw as I have to be careful how I handle it because of my health. I will try to up the meat this month. I never thought of figuring out the raw ingrediants calories I will figure that out next time. I am measuring the rice after it is cooked. If white rice is better that will be even easier to get for me. I will look into what was said about white rice being better. I can get eggs easy too. I pureed the vegtables after I cooked them and it made it easy to mix in. Now I will need to figure out how many calories my dogs need. Black my standard poodle is eating better and actually finishing his food which I like he is a picky eater. I think if he did not need to eat dog food to survive he would quit eating.laugh out loud thanks again
[notify]
Black

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 11:29am PST 
Thank you for your responses. I can not feed any meat raw as I have to be careful how I handle it because of my health. I will try to up the meat this month. I never thought of figuring out the raw ingrediants calories I will figure that out next time. I am measuring the rice after it is cooked. If white rice is better that will be even easier to get for me. I will look into what was said about white rice being better. I can get eggs easy too. I pureed the vegtables after I cooked them and it made it easy to mix in. Now I will need to figure out how many calories my dogs need. Black my standard poodle is eating better and actually finishing his food which I like he is a picky eater. I think if he did not need to eat dog food to survive he would quit eating.laugh out loud thanks again
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 11:42am PST 
Veggies aren't necessary, if you want to feed them they should be a small part of what you feed. A lot of variety isn't needed. I would keep to stuff with a mild taste: green beans, squashes, greens, etc. Many dogs enjoy sweet potatoes and orange squash (butternut, pumpkin, etc.).

You should stay away from cabbage relatives (brussel sprouts, brocolli, etc.).

--des
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 1:29pm PST 
The cabbage family is good for dogs. Not that I ever fed my dogs cabbage though, sure is hard to believe it is good for them. I would be trying it out slowly for sure! Both Monica Segal and Lew Olson write to use cabbage and broccoli.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 5:40pm PST 
"squash and pumpkins. Are peppers, eggplant, beans and okra ok for dogs? What about tomatoes and melons? How do I know how much to give the dogs?"

Some squash are very high in sugar (like butternut), same with pumpkin, tomatoes, and melon. I haven't heard much of dogs eating eggplant so can't comment there. Beans, if green beans, are very good same with okra, the sugar won't hurt dogs. But I wouldn't feed much at all of the others (except spaghetti squash). Veggies should not be more than 1/4 of the diet.
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 6:54pm PST 
I wouldn't say NONE on the cabbage family, much moderation. I've heard also great moderation with tHe nightshade family (includes peppers, tomatoes, eggplant). I think a bit is ok. I imagine okra is only a problem with the texture. I think 1/4 of diet is high, but that's just my feeling on this. I think 90-95% of diet should be meat. There is much disagreement on this, but look at their teeth.

No onions. I think melon is ok.

--des

Edited by author Tue Jun 28, '11 6:55pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 7:59pm PST 
Torie, not my idea - Lew Olson who knows a whole lot about this. I try to feed Max 10% bone. The bone and attached connective tissues bind up the stool as they aren't as digestible as meat and organ. Hard to believe 25% fibrous veggies are needed to replace 10% bone but there you are.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
http://www .b-naturals.com/newsletter/cooked-diet/
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2