GO!

Recipies for EASY dog food treats?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Daisy Baby

Daddy's Spoiled- Little Girl!

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 3:36pm PST 
Hi I am looking for easy recipies for dog food treats. Recipies that include stuff that most people would normally have already in their house... I have been having a hard time finding dog treats that are small enough for my little pup and also have a hard time trusting the companys ingredients. I want to know whats in her treats so thats why i am doing this. thanks you so much. Hope everyone is enjoying their memorial day weekend.

blue dog
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 7:55pm PST 
I made these for the girls. HUGE HIT. I made it out of stuff I had laying around I needed to use up before moving.

Bacon Cheeseburger Ballz
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 9:28pm PST 
Well the absolute easiest would be plain cooked meat. I have slow cooked scrambled egg so it was a little dried out, that is super easy. I have made a peanut butter sandwich, smashed it flat and cut into little bits. Put a slice of cheese between slices of bread, melt in the microwave and smash flat, that is very tasty according to the dogs. I cut the sandwiches into strips and pinch off bits for training, you could store in the freezer as you have a smaller dog than I do.

I always have the ingredients for tuna jerky but it is more trouble. Can of tuna, a minced garlic clove or bit of garlic powder is optional, an egg, some flour and about a tablespoon of vegetable oil is also optional.

Mix the wet stuff [use the tuna water] together, add flour until forms a stiff dough, knead like it is bread, make a pizza crust with it, score into strips or squares and bake for about 15 minutes at 350*. Count on needing 2-3 cups of flour. You can just spread the sticky dough out but if you knead it you can scrape the bowl and your fingers and all that clean and incorporate into the dough so clean up is much easier.

Cut apart and either bake again until hard or use soft for training treats. I always store home made goodies in the freezer just in case.

You can mix any flavoring in with the egg and flour. I have used liver and ground meat but peanut butter, pureed meats or veggies would work. I made banana or oyster cookies for Sassy. Oyster cookies were green! You would just get different amounts of treats. Keep the wet stuff to about 1/2 a cup or you will be overwhelmed and possibly run out of flour. A pound of beef liver makes a huge amount of treats!
[notify]

Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 2:22pm PST 
I'm making sweet potato snacks right now!

Ingredients:
Sweet potato!
(a dash of salt, if you want)

Preheat oven to 250

Cut it into thin "chips" or "fries" (about 1/4" thick).
Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake to desired texture (2 hours is what the recipe said, I broil them first to speeds up the process).

The best part is that you can eat them too, and they're GOOD! They also have properties that help settle doggie tummies and they're very healthy!
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 5:37pm PST 
for training I just use tiny cut up bites of cheddar cheese or hotdog or something. (Fried eggs are a big hit too, and so is cooked chicken or liver. He likes bread also, but not as much as richer stuff.) Biscuit-type treats really don't have any place in my household- they're not motivating enough for training, and I don't need to give my dog extra calories just for the heck of it. The only time I make dog biscuits at home is Bruno's car-sickness cookies- they're basically ginger snap cookies with twice the ginger and half the sugar.

If he really likes his kibble, you can use that for treats too. Just reduce the amount you feed him at mealtimes, and I wouldn't use kibble when you need something really high value as a reward or motivation.

If you find a commercial treat he likes but it's just too big for training use (don't want to fill him up too fast) just cut it into smaller pieces.
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 6:52pm PST 
Hot dogs in microwave. You cut them into small pieces and lay them out so the pieces are not on top of each other. I put them on paper towels. (This actually works a bit better with higher quality meat.) Put in and essentially you are trying to dry out. (2-5 minutes maybe)

Some people add a tiny of garlic powder.

You pat them out with paper towels to remove excess oil.

These are nice because they take the extra grease out of hot dogs so you can carry in your pocket.

--des

Edited by author Mon May 30, '11 6:53pm PST

[notify]