GO!

Sensitive Stomach Diet

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Pawpaws

I Love Kids

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 1:10am PST 
I'm despirately trying to find a diet for Pawpaws that doesn't cause vomiting, diarrhea, gas, etc. The only dog foods that don't bother him are beyond my price range. cry He is at the vet almost every week for some tummy trouble. So, homecooking is on my list of things to try. I was thinking of doing chicken, chicken hearts, chicken livers, sweet potatoes, broccoli, apples, and kelp. Would this be a good meal? I grow sweet potatoes, broccoli, and apples in my garden, and the kelp is easy to get from the beach. laugh out loud
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 7:43am PST 
You might start with boiled chicken/no skin or fat and boiled sweet potatoes, about half and half. I would probably buy a bunch of chicken breast to start, skin and use the broth as is as it will be fairly fat free. If that works leave a little skin on the chicken and see how it goes. Then buy the cheaper whole chicken, stew and discard the skin, then leave some on. Once you have a clue as to the amount of fat tolerated then you can work on substituting other foods for either the chicken or the sweet potato. I would add in chicken hearts next. One a day, really. Since chicken is low in zinc and iron adding hearts is a really good idea. You do need heaps of them to do any good though, are other meats completely out of the picture? Once heart is a go try the liver, again in tiny bits. I froze a chunk of liver then took shavings off. One shaving might be a good starting point. You don't need much, about an ounce for each pound of meat.

Using breast meat only the recipe is about 7% fat by weight, using half breast meat only and half whole chicken and skin it is better, about 14%. With all stewed chicken and fat it is a nice 20% fat by weight. While you can only give as much as the dog can tolerate, fat is really good for dogs and 20% by weight is a good amount.

Broccoli is excellent for dogs. It might even help the sore tummy. Apples, not so much. All plant foods have carbohydrates dogs don't need but broccoli and sweet potato have lots of good stuff in them while apples don't really bring much to the menu except apples and sweet potatoes are amazing together. Yum. I suggest starting with sweet potato as it is higher in calories than broccoli. If budget is a problem then do try grains, adding a cooked ounce a day maximum so you can judge the consequences.

Kelp is good stuff but varies a great deal in nutrient levels. You do need to be concerned with overdoing it as too much iodine is very bad for the thyroid. I give Max 1/2 tsp of dried kelp a WEEK and that is a guessimate. That would be about a tablespoon of fresh I think since seaweed is about 80% water of course. You might figure out what species you are collecting and research online for its nutrient levels just for an estimate like I did. If you are using it to fertilize your garden you might want to research whether your veggies might be providing enough iodine, no seaweed required!

Left the really important nutrient for last. Calcium. My 38 pound dog needs as much calcium as I do. Easiest way is to save egg shells, dry them so they are easier to powder, powder them and add 1/2 tsp per pound of meat. If you are feeding lots of veggies then you are better off using a bone meal or dicalcium phosphate product. NOW makes a bone meal suitable for humans. Don't use a garden brand unless it has been tested for heavy metals like lead.

See how this is going to help the sore tummy? You are introducing new foods slowly and you know what you are adding. If apple bothers the tummy then easy to stop using it. If one ounce of chicken skin per chicken cooked is fine but 4 ounces of skin too much, you know what to do. Cannot do that with commercial foods!

This isn't a 'balanced' diet but it is a good start. If you use chicken only then add in a B vitamin complex. Use a human supplement and I gave Sassy a B50 but if you can find a B25 that would be more suitable. There aren't enough minerals either, very low in zinc, iron and copper. And definitely use the bone meal! I hope Pawpaw can tolerate other meats they are higher in minerals and vitamins than chicken. If you could feed beef or lamb it would be better.
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 11:22am PST 
You could start with the meats (with muscle meat, liver, heart, and the egg shell) and then gradually add in other foods. I wouldn't start out with brocolli personally and some of the other foods you list can cause gas, but you could add them in gradually and see how your dog handles them. You can be esp careful with grains. I don't feed Torie grain (I do a combo of raw, kibble, canned, some fresh foods, etc.) very often. I think the one I use most often is oatmeal. It is generally well tolerated, even by dogs. Rice might be good too, if you are going that way.

I have had cats with IBD. ONe did very well on raw and the other is eating a very high quality canned food. It is grain free.

--des
[notify]

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Sun May 1, '11 2:34pm PST 
I don't know what parasites are common in Hawaii, but can I assume he has been treated for them and has no other symptom of parasites?

Before charging ahead with any diet, I would want to eliminate all other possible causes.
[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Sun May 1, '11 3:13pm PST 
This website may be of help.

http://www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/appendix.html

Open the page (cut and paste) and then scroll down to "Diet and Gastrointestinal Disease". There are recipes that you may be able to use. There are also recipes in there for dogs with no health issues that you may be able to use later on. I had a poodle with horrible gastro problems. He lived to age 18 eating babyfood, boiled chicken, hard boiled eggs(mashed with shell on), and rice along with a multi-vitamin.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Mon May 2, '11 7:36am PST 
Yep....this one is Tyler on Petfinder
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17039779

Most of the other dogs have the same name, but are listed with the same rescue.

Troll.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed May 4, '11 11:18am PST 
yeah, lamb or boiled chicken and rice or mashed sweet potato, or tapioca is the easiest to digest. the vitamin is important, as is a probiotic suppliment, since yogurt is still kind of hard on a sensitive tummy. You might do better with goat or sheep cheese and yogurt, but it's kind of spendy.

I would add Montmorillonite or bentonite clay to it as well. you can get the stuff at health stores and mix it in with the food. It helps absorb toxins, gives essential ultratrace minerals and calcium, and firms up poop. it should't bother a tummy too much, and you can eat it as well

I would not get your kelp from the beach. It's loaded with bacteria and toxins, and not fresh. Plus, there are only certain types that are edible. Kelp in this case means kombu and wakame. Nori is not a kelp, it's more like an algae that's scraped off the rocks and processed like they process rice paper. Kombu, reconstituted and boiled, helps a lot with gas. In any case, stock up now, because in a couple of months, it's going to be difficult to find due to the japan radiation crisis contaminating the seas where it is grown. What's in the market today was probably packaged long before the earthquake.

Spirulina tabs are another option. You can get it in powder too, and these are one of the best things to feed any animal including humans. It's freshwater algae, and they grow it in vats these days.

Edited by author Wed May 4, '11 11:28am PST

[notify]
Gina

Miss Sunshine

Barked: Sun May 8, '11 9:54pm PST 
It is definitely a good idea to feed a homemade diet, it is ways cheaper and you know exactly what you are feeding. For every diet change, make sure to do it gradually (otherwise you end up with an upset stomach again).

If your dog has so many problems with his digestion, it could be the nutrition, sensitive stomach or parasites.

Did the vet check him through? If not, get a stool sample in a sterile container to the vet to check for parasites (this way you save the consultation cost). Once you know, if there are parasites you can do the next step. By the way, there are lots of natural ways to treat parasites...

If there are no parasites, I would use some Slippery Elm Bark and see, if the dog gets better.

Dagmar
[notify]
Dieta

AKA Baby Face

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 5:46am PST 
I seen your post. I did the same thing with my dog. Kibble after kibble and then I did raw. I think about 6 months she did good. But, then a fall back.
Unfortunely, for us I had to feed a no grainer. I do believe that this is why she is with dirrehea. Since switching no more dirrehea.
I went with Evo red meat.
I tried the cooked diet but my dog wasn't getting enough of fat or protein. So maybe it would work for you. But, Evo is kind of expensive.
If you want to try their other line Innova red meat, and if you have any success, please let me know because the Evo is alot of money, but so worth it so far. I just started it, so I am hoping this is the right food. I think dogfoods do put in too much fillers. It is hard on the tummy and coats. frown
Good luck with your cooked meal, alot of dogs do well on it. So I hope it works for your poochiesmile
[notify]