GO!

What to feed my 7 pound 3 year old yorkie?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Bentley

Bentley- Ooh Greenies!- Gimme!

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 7:37pm PST 
I am feeding him boiled chicken and rice but he has since become picky again and isn't eating it. BUT it could be he's not eating because mom just left yesterday morning on a long road trip and he may be missing her..?

I'm going to try chicken and peas. My dog is 3 years old. He doesn't seem to eat much of the rice even when I mix it in well with the chicken, he picks out the chicken. We are going to make fish and peas for us so I could make more peas just for Bentley (our yorkie).

Are the following meals okay?:
boiled chicken and white rice
boiled chicken and peas
boiled hamburger and green beans
fish sticks and peas (not so sure about this one)

Should I be adding any kind of oil in his diet since he has dry skin and itches a lot?

He refuses to eat dry or canned dog food of any kind so that's why I'm home cooking for him.

How much of each food should I give him? He doesn't seem to want to eat breakfast, only dinner. But I have no clue how much to feed him. If I give him too much he usually stops eating when he wants to. So I don't think that I can "overfeed" him per say. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 9:51pm PST 
My friend started homecooking for her 10lb dog, so maybe I can help a little. how long have you been feeding Bentley this way? It's severely lacking in nutrients. So much that I would get this dog on the highest quality multivitamin asap until you can feed better or he'll eat better. (try onlynaturalpet.com )

Also, for a yorkie he is borderline getting overweight so you might want to adjust less fatty, like hamburger should be at least 90% meat and 10% fat. (No fish sticks)

My coworker/friend feeding her dog ground eggshells for calcium(see the recent thread about eggshells!), red meat for minerals, organs for vitamins and phosphorus, fish for omega 3 oil, vegetables for fiber, and every 2-3 days a grain for extra fiber/phosph. The diet just started and her dog loves it, some dogs know what they're lacking in a diet and will want to eat that, so I bet once you get a balanced diet his desire to eat will improve.

If he's been eating this way for a long time, he's malnourished and not feeling very well, that is also why his appetite and skin aren't doing good.

ETA Oh also peas are a little high in the glycemic index. Try green beans, spaghetti squash, broccoli, cauliflower as those are low. Cook them well and mash. But please get the multivitamin -like today!

Aha..I read Bentley's page and see what's gone on..I'm really relieved he hasn't been eating this way for long lol! I was concerned. Sorry if it showed too much up there.

Anyway, if you want to feed homecooked, it will need a lot of varying up and balancing. if you don't want to do that, I'd suggest a high quality kibble/can and no treats, no people food, just put the dish down, walk away. maybe free feed for a while, since he has low blood sugar issues and needs to eat a few times a day?

but if you still want to homecook, here's an example recipe by Dr. Pitcairn:

5 cups rolled oats
3lbs whole or chopped turkey
1/4 cup vegetables
4 tsps bone meal
10,000 IU vit A
400 vit E
(of course your lil yorkie won't be eating all that in one meal lol, but you can make a big patch following those porportions)

Dr. Pitcairn also recommends adding an oil, kelp, lecithin granulas, sodium and vit C....I can't advise since I don't homecook (i feed raw) but I def recommend an omega 3.

HTH...

Edited by author Sun Apr 3, '11 10:12pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 10:21pm PST 
Just don't drain the fat and use the chicken skin and there is enough fat in the diet. Dogs do better with meat fat than vegetable fats and you aren't wasting.

Sounds like he knows how much to eat. I started Sassy off with 20 calories per pound of dog and planned on a minimum of 1 gram protein per pound of dog. More is good, she did and Max does great on about 1.5 grams protein per pound. Max needs less than 20 calories per pound of him and Sassy needed more.

Here is Satori's Stew "improved" by me. Sorry, the directions are partly Satori's and partly mine in a mish mash.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/1930314/2
I just put in all the delicious foods Satori likes plus some powerhouse foods like oysters all together. He might eat all this in 24 days. Satori likes all those spices and herbs. Use a meat, veggie and grain in various combinations with just a pinch of a couple of the spices and herbs listed. The yeast is an approximation of nutritional yeast, you don't really use baking yeast! It is only a quarter cup of all those veggies and fruits and each 1/4 cup is for about 2 days as there are about a dozen listed. Teeny dogs don't need to eat much! ~52 ounces of meaty stuff, that is a bit over 2 ounces of meat a day.
[notify]

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 6:46am PST 
Thank-goodness you checked in on forums. Adam is so right, that is not a healthy, balanced diet.

I mix in home cooked with Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo.

I cook till soft:
one part shredded carrot
one part sweet potato
2 parts zuccini or summer squash DO NOT drain...

add 6-8 parts ground meat (hamburg, chicken, pork, turkey) - do NOT drain...
1 part cooked chicken liver
calcium supplement, I use ground egg shell if I can

remove from heat and cool to room temp
add flax oil or ground flax seed
chopped parsley for better breath (can't say it helps Snickers much)

I also sometimes will mix the above ingrediants RAW and add quinoa and eggs to make MUTT Meatballs. Then bake in my oven.

I spoon into small plastic containers and freeze in 3 day servings or single serve.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 7:34am PST 
Except for no calcium those combinations aren't horrible. Don't worry about it, just get a tiny bit of calcium into the food each day, use mostly red meats like lamb, pork and beef, a teensy bit of beef liver and it is good. Offer a couple ounces of meat plus 3/4 ounce of low calorie veggies like the ones in Satori's Stew each day.

You might buy a pounds of different meats, cook and freeze in an ice cube tray ready to use so you can feed him a variety of foods without having too much stuff sitting around. The calcium can be added before freezing so you don't have to fuss with it at meal time. Or cook for yourself and save some meat for him. You can buy a pound of beef liver, cut into ounce sized bits, freeze on a sheet of plastic wrap rolled up and get one out each time you cook some meat. Or cook by itself and use for treats.

Grains are optional, the veggies have fiber, are lower on the glycemic scale and have fewer calories.

Fat is good for dogs. I think one of the reasons my dogs do so much better on fresh food is the higher fat level compared to kibble! Don't trim too much fat or emphasize lean meats too much. If you see yucky poop then that means not enough veggies, too much food or too much fat.

Yorkies don't always meet breed standards. Feed your dog, if he is skinny then offer more. If he is chunky, feed less.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 8:40am PST 
Maxwell you think 90% meat is too little fat for the ground? And was that recipe above ok? (I ask because that's all the same I advised for my coworker's dog, based on reading and this forum, but it's harder when I don't actually do it myself to see if it's really all accurate.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 9:21am PST 
90% is great if you don't drain the fat. I just am concerned when people feed the dogs skinless chicken breast with lots of grain. The bland diet Sassy got when she had any upset was half chicken breast and half cooked white rice was 3% fat. Not a good amount of fat for a healthy dog! Using 25% stewed chicken, 25% 85% lean hamburger and 50% cooked white rice the fat content was 45% or so, a good amount for a healthy dog.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 10:30am PST 
Thanks! Just 1 more thing please is yeastneeded I notced included in more than your recipe
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 11:30am PST 
Nutritional yeast is a big favorite with people interested in eating less meat as it is a powerhouse food with loads of B vitamins and protein. I think dogs are better off eating meat with lots of B vitamins and lots of dogs have trouble using yeast. ND doesn't have nutritional or brewer's yeast listed so instead of making up my own estimate I put in baker's yeast.
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 11:53am PST 
Maxwell
I have been avoiding beef liver, partly because I hardly ever find it anymore. But the other reason is a healthy concern.
The liver is the filter for all the crud the animal eats. With all the antibiotics, growth hormones and stuff most cattle are fed, which gets filtered through the liver and for the most part stays there....I mean they don't even suggest people eat liver anymore due to the cancer risk. I rather feed no liver if I can't be sure of what's in it. Chicken liver is the lesser of 2 evils and I can get them local from an organic farm. Can't with beef.
Does this worry anyone else?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5