GO!

A couple questions

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Java

When in doubt,- sit and be cute.

Barked: Wed Mar 30, '11 12:59pm PST 
I broil an extra chicken breast or two and some rice and mix it all up and put it in a baggie to give as a "I gotta go to work but my leaving is a good thing" treat for Java since we moved to an apartment a few weeks ago and she's away from her brother Monkey now. (probably MY missing Monkey and projection as Java really is doing VERY well with all the changes!)

At most she gets less than 1/4 a cup in the morning and probably about the same amount when I come home for lunch OR when I come home at the end of the day. She seems okay with it but to me it seems bland. (again more projection lol)

I've read here often raw egg, with shell, without shell.. mess factor aside, is raw egg really okay?! Is really giving it to her with the shell not going to tear up her insides with sharp pieces parts of broken shell bits?!

What else could I mix in? Baby carrots are a no-go... she plays with them and I find shriveled carrot pieces in the furniture and whatnot. I know she likes frozen green beans, and I was told celery is palatable for dogs and that a clove of garlic 1-2 times a week mixed in is good for flea prevention...

thoughts? I don't want to replace her diet, which is primarily Wellness Simple Lamb & Rice, but she seems to enjoy the chicken and rice treat with no ill effects and I kinda like cooking for her. (plus the cat benefits as she gets a little bit of all this too)

Edited by author Wed Mar 30, '11 12:59pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Mar 30, '11 2:20pm PST 
You don't have to feed the egg raw, hard cook or scramble it if you prefer. They can be too rich for some dogs so don't feed one every day.

Any kind of meat would be tasty. Give plain leftover meat from your meals if you like. Somehow on class days I happen to cook pork roast quite often and it makes a very nice treat for Max.

Same with veggies and fruit and other grains. Plain is fine. If you want her to get any nutrition out of them serve them very overcooked or pureed. Sassy adored pasta and my dogs would get into fights over ownership of old torillas.

No grape products, onion, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocado skin/pit and watch the fat if your dog isn't used to it. Only offer food you could eat yourself, no green potatoes especially.

Canned fish? It is salty so not a daily thing.
[notify]
Java

When in doubt,- sit and be cute.

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 7:53am PST 
Thanks, Maxwell. I've had scrambled eggs with some turkey bacon on the weekends, but like mom said, never really more than 1/4 a cup despite my size. I enjoy the chicken and even the rice plain, I just like mom cooks for me. I know when the extra package of chicken breast is broiled with no spices or marinades that it's for me and I LOVE it! Mom's given me hard boiled eggs mixed in with chicken, too, but never raw yet. In fact, mom's got some thawing in the sink right now to cook for me and I can't wait!! hamster dance
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 1:50pm PST 
You think she goes nuts over chicken breast? Try hamburger or pork some time. Sardines are super yummy too. Or add a tiny bit of chicken or beef liver to the treat. Or if you see a pack of chicken gizzards and/or hearts cook them up.
[notify]