GO!

Advice on kibble topper/stew recipes

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Dr. Zira-In- Memory

Welcome to the- planet of the- monkey dogs

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 10:19pm PST 
Ive started home cooked to the kibble. They get sardines, scrambled eggs, cooked chicken hearts/gizzards and veggies now. I also have a recipe for meatloaf. Im wondering if anyone has a favorite recipe also Im worried abotu overcooking veggies Ive heard they should be fed raw, advice?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 7:41am PST 
The cell walls must be broken for dogs, or any animal, to be able to get anything from veggies, fruits and grains. Since dogs cannot chew to do this either puree raw plant foods or cook them well. If you use the cooking liquid and don't boil for hours they will be fine.
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 11:15am PST 
I was pureeing. I have two books one by Shawn Messonier that says cook and one by Dr Goldstein that says raw and puree so I may do both. The thing is with making stews of course I will be cooking.

Im also trying to keep phosphorus down for Zira so Im using boneless meats and boneless chicken
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 3:45pm PST 
I used nutritiondata.com for information on phosphorus content and made up recipes so I wasn't guessing. Boiled chicken was the lowest phosphorus lean meat, egg whites have virtually no phosphorus and I decided against giving Sassy any veggies at all in favor of more meat. Meats have more phosphorus than calories and veggies tend to be the same but are lower calories of course. Since meat has the protein Sassy really wanted that worked out better for her. Yes, I could feed several ounces of veggies for one ounce of meat but she didn't want veggies!

When Max started eating raw I went very gradually. Last plant product to go was the canned pumpkin. I gave it up because it came out exactly the way it came in. That stuff is pureed and heavily cooked and he couldn't get anything out of it! I do know Sassy digested all that rice, the meat provided only half the calories she needed.
[notify]