GO!

At one point do you need to start adding calcium supplements

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 4:36am PST 
Other then tubby who eats raw my dogs eat high quality grain free kibble which I rotate. I also am seriously considering starting a plan from the book See Spot live longer which would involve giving the dogs two meals a week (can be same day of the week or divided out) of special food. A breakfast of sardines and lightly cooked and eggs and a dinner of chicken hearts and veggies. With these meals they would get no kibble.

I also add plain yogurt to their breakfast kibble (a small amount) on kibble days and Id like to start adding a little bit of home made kibble toppers to their dinner (veggies, fruit, some cooked chicken on other meat) So maybe that would replace 25% of the kibble. Do I need to add calcium suplements if I do this. Would giving tums be a good idea Ive heard it can be used as a calcium suplement. Id like to avoid giving bone meal if possible.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 8:42am PST 
You don't need to add calcium if you are substituting about 25% of the high calcium kibble for fresh food. Don't use TUMS, powdered eggshell is better. If you feel phosphorus is lacking and don't want to use bone meal then use dicalcium phosphate instead.

Once a diet gets to be about half fresh then you need to be balancing it all, not just calcium. Chances are even with half fresh/half kibble you don't need to worry much about it anyway as kibbles are so over fortified due to absorption concerns.
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 10:55am PST 
Powdered egg shells make me a little nervous because I think Id have to buy very fresh organic eggs and it would be awful costly Zira has some kidney issues, her levels are normal now so I dont want her getting too much phosphorus i had heard of using tums on a kidney diet dog sight I belong too. If I have too i could use bone meal if we eventually go all home cooked but I think if I was going to do that we would likely go all raw with bravo raw and thats fortified
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 12:05pm PST 
If egg shell concerns you then don't try bone meal at all. Go right to calcium carbonate, NOW makes a good pure one - cheap and lasts a long time, or dicalcium phosphate. I know Monica Segal sells one.
[notify]