GO!

See spot live longer-has anyone tried this

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 4:32am PST 
My dogs (other then Tubby who is on natures variety raw) eat grain free kibbles (wellness core, innova, canidae, etc) rotated. I bought this e-book and it remomends one day of cooked food a week. The recipe is basically a combo of eggs and sardines for breakfast (mostly whites and some yolks) and the eggs are lightly boiled. Dinner is lightly cooked chicken hearts and veggies. It says to eliminate fish oil supplements all week if you are feeding this once a week which I will do. It says you can eliminate other supplements as well but I plan on continuing with the vitamin c and coenzyme q 10 and digestive enzymes. I figure it cant hurt, but I probably wont feed supplements on the day I give this meal. Anyway Im wondering if anyone has tried this.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 5:21am PST 
If you truly have the raw diet balance, there is no reason for supplements or diet changes BUT, doing it supplement free does require a commercial grinder that can grind bone and, a very good way to puree veggies and grind grains.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 8:20am PST 
Tubby is on raw my other dogs are on kibble I am not cocerned for tubby this is for the other dogs and they will still be getting some suplements with their kibble just not fish oil,
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 8:29am PST 
Nope!

Seems an excellent idea to me and he balances to known dog nutritional needs.

Hope you find your way to feeding all fresh food but even a little is a good good thing.

If you have a picky dog wouldn't there be a hunger strike after the fresh food day? Is there any reason not to make this stuff up and just add it to every meal?
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 10:53am PST 
They are not too terribly picky. With so many dogs I am not sure I can afford to feed all home cooked and time also is a real issue. They do seem to love their natures variety. Id love to feed all raw, bravo or natures variety. but its really not cost feasible right now. We live in an expensive area so that drives costs of everything up. Hopefully some day we can do all raw or all home cooked

Also when you say fresh and natural do you only buy organic--way more expensive then I can afford and do you mean the food can never be frozen, tough with five dogs
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 12:13pm PST 
We are a family of five dogs now too. We had four, then a certain little tiny foster beagle stole our hearts!!

We feed all raw. We buy different pieces in bulk, meats/organs/bones, and that way it is less expensive.

Interesting you ask about Steve Brown book, I just ordered the new one, Unlocking The Ancestral Dog Diet and I can't wait till it comes. It has sections on feeding home cooked, feeding all raw without bones, and feeding raw with bones. Also a section on somehow making a kibble diet "ancestral" once a week. Mary Strauss of Dogaware.com did a review in The Whole Dog Journal, and stated that she may change the way she feeds her own raw fed dog because of this book!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes feeding them this great meal once a week.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 12:22pm PST 
I mean fresh food from the perimeter of the grocery store. Fresh eggs, fresh meat, fresh organs, fresh veggies although frozen veggies are fine. Even canned fish with all that added salt is good stuff. Food with natural moisture and not enough processing so vitamins and minerals have to be added back in.

Sassy ate grocery store dog food. Fresh whole chicken/pork/beef/lamb/liver, rice, eggs, pumpkin/squash/broccoli/carrots/sweetpotato/celery/greenbeans. Max gets mostly horrible sounding by-products but they are just frozen, no drying plus I know they aren't spoiled when he gets them. He eats rabbit guts, chicken heads, tripe, meat trimmed off by the butcher, all the organs humans don't use up, yuck but it is good for him.

I cannot afford organic or pastured or all wild meats for Max either. Some stuff is pastured, some is wild but not much. Grocery store meat is superior to meats used in most any kibble or canned dog food. Where do you think dog food meat comes from? Any special qualities organic or pastured meats might have is lost when it is rendered to make meat meal or ground and dried in an extruder to make kibble.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 6:03pm PST 
Feather-I read that article in the whole dog journal which is why I purchased see spot live longer. I am also interested in the other book. I plan to try adding some cooked kibble toppers and the specail meals I describe and then eventually maybe ease into all raw

Tubby is on natures variety raw medallions I am extra careful with him because he had a mast cell tumor removed, he has a very good prognosis but you cant be too careful. I read dog aware very often and get most of my diet information from there and whole dog journal

I would like to do raw and have tried in the past but its been tough for us to store all the meet, we need to save up for a freezer and also the time involved is a big deal I love the convenience of premade raw but it is pricey.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 6:24pm PST 
I have his other book, Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet, and the one-day a week home-prepared feeding plan sounds identical to the one in this book.

I incorporate his advice, but I haven't done it exactly how he prescribes. For example, I do feed one can of sardines per week and I do add raw eggs, fresh veggies, and meats to the diet, but I don't do one designated kibble-free day per week with the exact recipe he describes.

I also don't plan to completely cut out omega-3 supplementation ... I fail to see how one can of sardines per week can have enough omega-3's for the entire week. Also, the one-day-per-week plan isn't designed to make the dog's diet PERFECT - it is only trying to make the typical dog's diet CLOSER to the ancestral diet - therefore I think there is still room for improvement from the addition of some supplements.

Sassy, I think the reason he advocates for all of the fresh food on one day, rather than spaced out, is that it is a great marketing pitch to make it sound so easy to implement - "Just one day a week to improve your dog's health!" But from what I read, I don't know any reason why it wouldn't be equally as effective to spread those home-prepared elements over the entire week.

I have learned a lot ... for example, even a raw diet is usually not optimally balanced, because livestock have become fattier and less rich in certain types of beneficial fats than wild game animals. And add to that, people tend to feed fattier cuts of meat that tend to be cheaper. So even for raw feeders, I think it is an informative read.
[notify]
Tubby

Multo en Parvo-A- lot in a little!

Barked: Sat Mar 5, '11 8:31pm PST 
He says you can spread it out over the week. I was doing it on the weekend-easier to implement. I already feed one dog raw natures variety and the others very high quality kibble with yogurt. So even if not perfect its pretty good. My only reason for considering reduction of fish oil was I dont want the dogs to get too much fat. I have grizzly salmon oil right now and they also get coenzyme q 10 curcumin glucosamine and vitamin c I may start something to ward of alzheimers The book said too cut out other suplementation which Id ont agree with but I did think perhaps the sardines would be enough for the fish oil-but maybe I will continue it
[notify]