GO!

Home Cooking

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Moxie

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 12:58pm PST 
I am starting to do a little bit of home cooking for the pups and I am curious as to what everyone uses as a 'pre-mix' or vitamin and mineral supplement.
[notify]
Moxie

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 1:44pm PST 
I just read a post on supplements smile. The only thing I still am unclear on is the Calcium supplements. I hear eggs shells arent enough on their own and I am not a big fan of bone meals because of the flourine... are there any alternatives? Or is egg shells enough?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 2:14pm PST 
If you are feeding mostly meats/fish/egg/whole grains you probably get enough phosphorus. If there isn't enough a combination of egg shell and dicalcium phosphate would work fine. Monica Segal sells it on her website and she is very careful about what she sells.
[notify]

Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 3:34pm PST 
Add other natural sources of calcium but, do it slowly so you don't have digestive upsets. Yogurt, cheese, even some steamed or pureed vegetables.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 4:50pm PST 
You would really have to research your dairy or veggie though. To provide all that is needed you would probably need massive amounts of the veggie. Cooked collard greens have a lot of calcium, 350mg per cup but Max would need 3 cups of the stuff a day. So not happening. I am lazy and cheap, not going to buy expensive veggies to balance a diet, give me the egg shell!
[notify]
Moxie

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 2:09pm PST 
Would a finely ground Calcium carbonate work well?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Feb 24, '11 6:34pm PST 
Yes but you need to know how much calcium is in the stuff.

Collards look to be a very nice addition to the diet but maybe an ounce or two a day. Same with dairy products. Good stuff if it suits the dog but not a good idea for all the calcium needed. Dogs need a lot more calcium than humans do. 38 pound Max needs the same amount of calcium an adult human needs.
[notify]