GO!

Quick and easy home made recipe toppers

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 6:24pm PST 
Does anyone have any quick and easy home made toppers.

I have a 7 month old miniature wirehaired dachshund. He is 11lbs and 2 oz. I wouldn't like to eat the same thing every day. Jazz right now is on wellness core and i usually mix his food with wellness 95%lamb or beef. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any websites that have quick and easy recipes or have quick and easy recipes that you use for your dogs. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 7:36pm PST 
Scramble an egg and mix some of it in the kibble.
Canned sardines, salmon or mackerel [unsalted, water packed preferred], spoonful in kibble and mix.
Chop plain leftover meat and veggies, spoonful in kibble and mix.
Spoon a bit of plain yogurt or cottage cheese into kibble and mix.
Adding some warm water or unsalted broth to make the topper go further is just fine.

A bit more work:
Boil a chicken with water until meat falls off bone. Cool and bone, blend into a gravy. Store most in ice cube trays and get out one each day for a topper.
Can do the same for any fish or meat.
Liver is much loved by dogs but don't add much if you decide to cook the stinky stuff.

Grains aren't a valuable addition as kibble already has plenty of starches but veggies and fruits are great.
[notify]
Jazzy

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 8:41pm PST 
I'm not too sure jazz would eat fish since he didn't like the whitefish and sweet potato canned formula wellness has out. He turned his nose up. Idk if i can cook the liver since liver makes me sick to even smell it. I like the scrambling the egg idea. Are raw eggs bad for dogs. My mother used to crack one egg over the dogs' food dishes and mix the food up. What fruits are okay for dogs? I know that grapes, raisins and any fruit that have pits are bad for dogs.
[notify]

Jazzy

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 8:44pm PST 
I am sooooo interested so plz send me more food info
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 10:32pm PST 
Here is a whole lot of reading for you! There is a very short list of foods not to feed there too. Look through the whole site especially the articles section.
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/freshfoods.html

Raw egg is a classic topper. I wouldn't use a whole egg for your little guy though, scrambled just seems nicer to save leftovers for the next meal.

I hear you about liver. After 16 years of seeing my dogs dance for joy when liver was on offer I am now sort of liking the smell though. I added a bit to Sassy's rice and thought it smelled good. Never thought that was a possibility! Maybe if you find one in a whole chicken cook it for the dog rather than toss it? A bit of garlic helps a lot too.

Don't buy any fish then, maybe just offer up a bit of yours mixed with kibble sometime. Most dogs like canned fish, probably because of the salt, but don't buy it especially for him if you don't think he will eat it.

I would actually feed veggies rather than fruits. They are more nutritious and lower in simple sugars which none of us need. If your dog likes them then use a small amount. Applesauce, mashed up melon, mashed banana would be tasty fruits. I didn't feed Sassy many veggies as I was interested in lots of calories with as little phosphorus as possible but she liked carrots, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, broccoli, celery. Corn and peas will add interest to the poop, don't offer them whole at least.

Any new topper ought to be introduced a little at a time. If you want to use a lot then reduce the amount of kibble fed so he doesn't get too many calories which can cause loose stool. Look on the kibble bag for calories per cup of kibble to estimate how many calories he gets a day and substitute up to 25% fresh food calories if you like.
[notify]
Jazzy

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 12:14am PST 
Well I just started Jazz on Adult Wellness Core and the recommended feeding is a 1/4 - 1 1/4 per day. My little guy doesn't eat all that much. So i started feeding him 1/3 2x a day and noticed he was gassing me out of the room. So somebody told me to give him a 1/4 2x a day. To me that looks itty bitty even for him. But i also give him a spoon of Wellness 95% lamb or beef. And a couple pieces of the vital beef liver and bison sausage thing. But i like to make breakfast and dinner as something for him to look forward to. He does like the tuna in the can. Tonight I made a tuna casserole and let him lick the can and he actually liked it. But is tuna ok for dogs? Well I know you can get canned chicken livers. SO maybe if i fry them up and chop them up finely and put them in his food. I can do that. Just I don't like beef liver as it is. So idk if i can prepare it even for my dog. I've noticed that he also likes sweet potatoes. His favorite fruit seems to be watermelon but i wouldn't give it to him in his food. I just don't think that would taste good. I think i'll try putting carrots and green beans in his food.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 7:10am PST 
I make my own homemade toppers similar to canned food and use it in place of the canned I was topping my boys' kibble with. My recipes vary (I don't usually go off of one) but I have a a basic "formula" so to speak. I use whatever meat I have (I've used bone-in and boneless, chicken, beef, pork, etc, really whatever you have access to and your dog likes). I boil the meat until cooked and remove bones if any. If there's a lot of fat in the water I drain most of that water and add in fresh. This is when I'd add any veggies and potatoes or already cooked and boned meats. Boil until everything is cooked. I have a stick blender so I blend it all up in the pot, and then add 3-5 raw eggs (while blending) to thicken. If it's still too thin I'll add some potatoe flakes. Dish out into containers, freeze what I won't use that week, and pull out as needed. Just made a batch last night that was chicken breasts and left over prime rib, with potatoe, green beans, and a little bit of carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli with 4 eggs at the end. The whole batch cost me maybe $4 in specific supplys (the rest were out leftovers) and will last me a few weeks in toppers. In was spending about $1 a day on canned, so definitely a big money saver!!
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 7:14am PST 
My dogs got the tuna can juice mixed with water as tuna soup, they adored it. It isn't particularly good for them as it has loads of salt and tuna is higher in mercury than other high omega 3 fish like salmon, mackerel and sardines but once in a while it is fine. It isn't like swordfish and shark, super high in mercury!

I know about the amount of kibble you feed. I failed at EVO back when it came out even feeding through 2 large bags of it. NOW I know I was overfeeding but it sure didn't seem possible. I have a digital scale now and when I was switching Artie from Natural Balance to Before Grain to EVO I counted calories very precisely by weighing his portions so he wouldn't have yucky poop and it worked great.

Don't worry about food combinations tasting good. Dogs don't care if the flavors seem nice to us.

Veggies are mostly tasty fillers for dogs, you can add quite a lot to the food but be careful with the amount of meat added or he will either gain too much weight or have the gas and loose stool. And make sure the veggies are well cooked or they may just go straight through.
[notify]
Jazzy

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 3:03pm PST 
I like the topper quincy just posted. I think my little boy would love that. I'm definitely gonna try the sardines.. I hope he will like them. I'm not a fan of fish so idk what i'll do if my dog doesn't like them. My dog likes cottage cheese though. And he likes scrambled eggs.
[notify]
Gertrude Ola

105% Brat, Ready- to Grill

Barked: Thu Feb 10, '11 1:49pm PST 
I like microwaving chopped carrots and honey, so they can digest it. Fruits: mash up some banana, sometimes they like that.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2