GO!

salmon everyday?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

sadie

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 2:40pm PST 
i have two small dogs, 15 and 18 lbs. i like to incorporate salmon into their diets, and i know it is really good for them. the problem is if i use the salmon as a main meat for a meal they both get gurgling tummies, however if i use half salmon and half chicken, beef etc they are able to tolerate the salmon. my questions: is this ok to let them have salmon with other proteins daily and question #2 do i still need to supplement calcium if they get salmon daily.........thank you!!!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 8, '11 3:05pm PST 
If you didn't feed enough bone elsewhere you would need to add in more calcium. Just feed bony chicken and pork?

Salmon is great for omega 3 but isn't high in minerals except for potassium and is as low in most vitamins as chicken. Not sure I would want to feed half salmon to Max. I like to feed about 10% fish and probably could go higher but not 50%. Maybe a diet with 25% fish, 25% chicken and 50% red meat would be good?

Just made up a recipe. While I like the idea, there is such a thing as too much omega 3. About 10x requirement is too much according to NRC and giving Max 20% salmon a day brings it up to nearly that amount.
[notify]