GO!

Lentils?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 11:34am PST 
Are lentils safe for dogs?
It seems like they'd be a pretty nutritious non-meat component to add some calories.

Edited by author Mon Jan 24, '11 11:35am PST

[notify]
Ella- Cinderella

Yoo muffs- abquits if da- shoe nods fids!

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 12:16pm PST 
I typed it in on google and it said it was fine. Just don't give alot.
Sassy probably knows more.wink
[notify]
Satori

Will Pose For- Food!!!!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 2:16pm PST 
Pawsome!Great Alternative to rice or oatmeal!! applause
[notify]

Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 2:23pm PST 
Just remember they are high in potassium and cook them to death so the dog can get the good stuff out of them. I wonder if they can cause gas like beans? Anyway just a little at first.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 4:21pm PST 
Thanks!
Yeah, I noticed that lentils also have a good bit of phosphorous. I'll probably use chickpeas more often (there is a dog food with chickpeas as the carb source, so it must be okay) but lentils will add some variety. I also grind all my food in a processor so it will be digestible.
I was just wonderin' if anybody has seen them in a real dog cookbook ... because I also know people who say they toss their dog grapes as snacks with no ill effect. confused
I just ordered "Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet" by Steve Brown today, super excited for it to arrive!
[notify]