GO!

Canned Sardines

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Adolfo

One Cool Dude

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 9:44am PST 
Is it okay to give a dog canned sardines? I feed Adolfo on Acana Grasslands kibble, but he always looks like he wants a sardine when I am eating them. laugh out loud Could I give him one or two or would that bother his stomach?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 9:58am PST 
Oh Adolfo, you are one lovely Dogo!

Yes, sardines are totally fine to give. I plop a can into Mulder's meals every now and again, and have several times given him an entire meal of them when I was too forgetfully/lazy to thaw anything out.
[notify]
Mackenzie- CGC TDI DSA

Why sit when you- can lie down?

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 10:20am PST 
Absolutely! When I fed kibble I used to give the pups a can or so of sardines every week. They love 'em!
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 12:28pm PST 
Chance gets 2 low-sodium sardines packed in spring water every day instead of fish oil.

She has a fairly tender tummy and hasn't experienced any problems.

She loves her sardines!
[notify]
Allee, Bama,- and Brodie- Bear!

Roll Tide- Roll!!! ;)

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 10:39pm PST 
Yep, we give either sardines or canned salmon a few days a week.

I will split the can of sardines between my three doggies on top of their kibble.
[notify]
CGC Diego

I love my peeps!-

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 8:08pm PST 
We also supplement our Acana/Avoderm/Taste of the Wild kibble with sardines and/or canned salmon sporadically. I always make sure to get the ones packed in spring water, figured I should skip the olive oil. Also make sure you get the ones with bones--they provide extra calcium! big grin

My Chi mix has a relatively sensitive stomach and I've never noticed any problems after eating sardines.
[notify]
Satori

Will Pose For- Food!!!!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 7, '10 10:04pm PST 
See my sardine recipe thread just a little lower down; as well as the Vitamin D thread. There are incredible benefits to feeding sardines that you just can't get with any other food. My recipe fits a 5-6 pound dog, adjust accordingly...he gets it twice a week to balance other recipe and to provide variety on a regular basis; sardines are in water and I include the water. Oils are good for dogs, tho, they need a good bit more fat than we do!!
[notify]