GO!

Need a home cooked recipe for a diet to help prevent bladder stones

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 9:06am PST 
I just spent two days in an emergency vet hospital and doggie ICU cuz I had stones in my bladder, and that turned into a really yucky infection...and I don't want that to happen ever again ... not to me, and not to my Cindy...I don't think she has slept for two days.
I am home now, doing well...but the vet says I have to change my diet, he prescribed Royal Canin "SO" diet and Cindy said she read the ingredients and she hates it already...
ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet® canine URINARY SO® 14 dry
Rice, ground corn, chicken fat, chicken meal, natural flavors, corn gluten
meal, dried egg product, salt, powdered cellulose, potassium chloride, fish oil,
monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, taurine, choline
chloride, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), biotin,
D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate,
niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin supplement
(vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement],
marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate,
zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, copper
proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with
natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

CORN? The second ingredient is corn? And when she asked the vet if corn was a significant ingredient for the prevention of bladder stones he said no, the corn was just filler...

Grrrrrrrrr

We know that this diet is well recommended but Cindy is thinking she wants to cook for me instead but we need a recipe specifically for dogs with urinary stone issues. We welcome advice and recommendations. We haven't posted in this forum before so if there are already threads please let us know.

Thank you.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 9:58am PST 
What kind of stone? Urate? Struvite? Oxalate? All need different diets regardless that all are treated with the same kibble. A common thread is moisture. If you are stuck with the expensive kibble float it in some warm water for now.
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjstruvites.html
http://www .dogaware.com/articles/wdjcalciumoxalates.html
http://www.dogaware. com/health/liver.html

I don't know where those companies get the idea we want to feed this Frankenstein food to sick dogs. An amino acid from this fragment of grain, more of that from this. YUCK.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 11:11am PST 
Sassy,thank you very much.

The surgeon thought the stones "looked" like sturvite...allowing for the fact that the only real analysis is the lab results, which I may not have til next week. But yes, I was aware that the diet has to be based on what kind of stones get formed.

I'd rather make my own food for her than feed that manufactured diet...I know that the "track record" for it is that it is effective in deterring stone production but I simply do NOT like the ingredients, and for her overall health I'm not persuaded that it is beneficial...sorry to sound so skeptical...
[notify]

Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 11:14am PST 
Sassy...GREAT articles, thank you again.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 11:59am PST 
Can't add anything, but I hope Ellie is feeling better. hug
[notify]
Satori

Will Pose For- Food!!!!!!

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 6:09pm PST 
Ellie is a beautiful girl, she is like my big sister!! Mom sez:You might want to add some apple cider vinegar to her water or to her food,like a teaspoon to a tablespoon, organic would be best, (good for humans too). As well, hydration, may want to give filtered water, etc., also homecooked generally has a much higher liquid content. Dried cranberries would be a yummy treat!!

Edited by author Wed Nov 24, '10 6:39pm PST

[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 5:15am PST 
Mattie has had stone surgery twice and I have learned a lot about this condition over the last year. I too, wanted this food to work. It doesn't prevent the stones. There is no diet that will prevent struvite stones. They are caused by infection. To prevent their return you must prevent or halt infection quickly. Urinalysis every 3 to 4 weeks (take a urine sample to your vet or lab) and treating any infection that pops up is what will stop a recurrence of struvite stones (most likely the culprit in a female dog). The Royal Canin Urinary SO is for short term feeding and meant to help reduce stone development in the presence of UTI. It is not a lifetime food and should not be used if no crystals/stones are present. I keep it in and if infection is shown in Mattie's urine sample, I feed the Royal Canin for the next 4 weeks while she is on an antibiotic. The other important factor is to make sure your dog is drinking lots of water and flushing the bladder. I boil a couple of chicken thighs in a gallon of water until the chicken is cooked well. I take this "broth" and freeze it in serving sized bowls. I defrost one each day and use the broth throughout the day to encourage Mattie to drink more liquid. It works well. I also add cranberry supplement to Mattie's food. Cranberry makes the bladder environment uncomfortable for bacteria to take hold. PM me if you have more questions. I will try to answer.
[notify]
SassySue

The devil made- me do it!

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 5:21am PST 
Best wishes, from Mattie's sister!

Edited by author Thu Nov 25, '10 5:22am PST

[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Nov 25, '10 7:37am PST 
MattieMay, some people use pH strips to monitor the urine so they can be ahead of the game. That might be more sensitive a test then testing as bacteria don't shed into the urine well sometimes.

Cranberry extract smelled really good in Sassy's food but it upset her tummy as it is high in vitamin C and kidney dogs are already acidic. Great for healthy dogs though. The sugar that is the active ingredient can be bought, D-mannose, if that is the case.

Sassy was never much of a water drinker so floating her food worked to keep her hydrated. That is even easier with home cooked food, she got soup! Or I would pour warm water around the food but she always drank it. I estimated her basic need here.
http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/h2o.htm

For a basic home cooked meal, I would want to use Lew Olson's 75% meat/organ/egg/dairy/fish with 25% cooked low starch veggies.
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/cooked-diet/
http://www.b-na turals.com/newsletter/category/cooked-diet/

Sassy's food was not appropriate for healthy dogs but was 50% meat, lowest meat content I would want to go. Use red meat for better minerals and vitamins, chicken has a lot of waste and is a pain to bone and chop as well. Use about 1 ounce of beef liver per pound of meat. Get 2 ounces of fatty fish per pound of meat into the diet somewhere. Big Lots has water packed sardines for $.75, couple cans of those a week perhaps. Some cooked diets have enough phosphorus in them so egg shell can balance it but some are low in phosphorus and bone meal or a calcium phosphate of some sort is needed.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Fri Nov 26, '10 3:18pm PST 
All this POTP is really helping Cindy! And since she is less stressed, actually it is easier on me too.

I bet she will go those test strips...she used to test Shantye's urine when she was diabetic, this is a simple procedure. I squat really low so this might get to be kinda funny.

Cindy asked the vets specifically what came first, the infection or the stones...and they seemed to think the stones existed first...hmmm...Mattie's response is more consistent with the progress of the condition. Thank you for sharing!

As far as that prescription diet...sorry to reduce it so simplistically, but...YUCK. Cindy will cook for me and Barney both ...we have never eaten a diet with whole ground corn in it...and the idea of doing it now...well...Cindy kinda said some unprintable things. My surgeon said the corn is just filler, it doesn't add any significant ingredient to prevent stones.

Great, feed me stuff I don't like and isn't good for me nutritionally and charge Cindy $$$$$ for it. That only makes sense to a human.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2