GO!

Diet for dogs wit liver disease

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baby

Queen "B"

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 3:23pm PST 
I just recently found out that one of my babies has a liver disease. I am looking for diets that will help her. She get's so sick and sometimes even dog food doesn't work. I heard there are holistic meals I can prepare for her that involve veggies and one of them was sweet potatoes. Which happens to be my favorite. Does that mean I can giver her some of my sweet potatoes of my plate? I haven't wanted to share anything with her for fear of getting her sick. Could use a few good recipes.
[notify]
Max

I'm Back!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 3:51pm PST 
Fresh foods are always the best for liver disease. Foods such as basil, fennel, dill, ginger, mint, and black pepper are very good for cleansing the liver. Lettuce, quinoa, alfalfa and asparagus are also very healthy for the liver. Other beneficial foods include raw, fresh foods such as sprouted grains, veggies, and legumes (complex carbohydrates); as well as fruit, mung beans, mushrooms, radishes, sweet rice, beets, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, cherries, cabbage, turnips, brussels sprouts and broccoli. Definately keep your dog away from any unhealthy foods. Cut him down on meat, dairy, and poor quality fats. He is unlikely to suffer any negative side effects by removing these from his diet. However, consulting a canine nutritionist is probably your best bet.
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 4:13pm PST 
http://www.monicasegal.com/aboutus/yahoo017.php
[notify]

Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 4:17pm PST 
It is a bit more complicated than just giving sweet potatoes. Depending on the liver disease that your dog has, you will probably need to feed a diet high in complex carbohydrates and fiber and low in protein. Many people advise that a dog with liver issues be fed a whiteflesh low mercury fish and egg based diet. Many people have a lot of success with Solid Gold Holistique Blendz. If you would like to make your own dog food, I would highly suggest speaking to a canine nutritionist. Please remember that calicium and phosphorous levels must be adequately balanced. You may also want to talk to your vet about adding Lactulose, Marin and Zentonil to your dog's care.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 4:27pm PST 
There are a lot different liver diseases which need different diets. Sassy has some elevated enzymes and no diet changes are needed so I am spared that issue anyway. So far.

This page has a lot of further reading for you. I trust this site and most all the links are very trustworthy. It looks like sweet potato is a go!
http://www.dogaware.com/specific.html#liver

For extended periods of time the more complicated Monica Segal recipe would be better as it is better balanced but either one would has been reviewed by medical and nutrition experts.
http://www.monicasegal.com/newsletters/2004-11NL.php

Ho pe this helps. It feels really good to cook for a sick dog. Sassy appreciates my efforts and it really seems to make her feel better.
[notify]
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 5:12pm PST 
OP, just know the info Max provided is taken directly from an e-how article about how a human can do a liver cleansing - you can see it here. It may not really be applicable to dogs.

I would check out the links provided by the other posters, though, and good luck with this! Luka had a liver insult last year and since then, we have supplemented his diet with Denosyl (which is largely made up of SAMe) and Silybum marianum (aka, milk thistle).

Both can be found at your local grocer, and both provide important cleansing functions for your dog's liver. They are no miracle cure, but they do support liver functionality.

Best of luck to you!
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon Jan 18, '10 9:39pm PST 
A note about grocery store suppliments: be careful that you do not get the ones that are packaged in a dropper bottle. Many of them include alcohol, which is not good for a dog with liver issues.
[notify]
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 7:03am PST 
What is a dropper bottle, Byron?
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 7:21am PST 
All the SAMe and milk thistle I see is in capsules, no worries about alcohol. Don't just start dosing as they are powerful!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Tue Jan 19, '10 12:14pm PST 
I think Byron is talking about tinctures and extracts. Like this one - http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3706520&cp=3593189.22 71690

Just so happens that one is alcohol free, but most of them aren't.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2