GO!

Would it be possible to dehydrate tripe?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Fri Dec 11, '09 11:20am PST 
I have some ground raw tripe that I was wondering if it would be possible to dehydrate to use in training. When I read the directions for the dehydrater it says to cook everything first, but this is ground, so I am thinking it is going to fall apart like ground beef. Plus, I don't mind the smell of tripe at all, but is going to funk up the house if I cook it?

Bo is going back to school tomorrow and I have some deer chops dehydrating, but I have TONS of tripe on hand as well.

TIA for advice!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Dec 11, '09 4:08pm PST 
Stinky stinky. I know you can use raw ground meats (beef, chicken, etc) to make jerky. They probably say to cook it because a dehydrator doesn't get hot enough to cook the meat throughly.

I bet the tripe would stink up the house.

PetKind tripe treats (dehydrated green tripe in "sticks") are pretty awesome little snacks. They're hard though so it wouldn't make a good training treat. Solid Gold has tripe treats too. They aren't stinky like the PetKind ones and they're really hard too.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Dec 12, '09 7:27am PST 
One problem is fat. Fat doesn't dehydrate of course and unless you have lean tripe it may be quite fatty. I like those dehydrated tripe sticks but I bet the fat was scraped off before processing.

I bought K9Magic with tripe in it from Greentripe.com last spring. There really wasn't much tripe in it but dogs knew it was there and loved it. Maybe you could use tripas as natural sausage casings and mix up a sausage concoction and cook that to use up some of your tripe? The K9Magic has a lot of garlic and thyme so didn't smell bad at all.

I don't know which would stink more, cooking or dehydrating tripe. So far I haven't had the luxury of too much tripe so I won't be experimenting any time soon.
[notify]

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Fri Dec 18, '09 9:54pm PST 
How high is your gag reflex? laugh out loud
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Sat Dec 19, '09 7:16am PST 
I actually like the smell of tripe and I know this is odd, but I really like the smell of dirty barn or cow/horse poo. It has a nice odor to me. Gross I know.

I decided against it. Winnie is now on a raw diet per her holistic vet, so I can just use it as an add in.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 10:11am PST 
Actually there is a way to make sure it is totally safe, I am a dog trainer and have not done tripe yet but I dehydrate many meats for my dog, you need to pop it in an oven at 170F for 10 minutes first to kill off any bacteria then you can put it in the dehydrator. smile
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 1:16pm PST 
I've seen treats at a pet store where it was dehydrated green tripe..

I didn't get them kinda wished I dig, but I wanted get bunch other items.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 7:19pm PST 
Yet another 3 year old thread drudged up by guest posters...
[notify]