GO!

BalanceIT.com

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy and Sadie

We are Brother- and Sister!

Barked: Sun Sep 13, '09 9:28am PST 
Does anyone use this site or their product for home cooking? Thanks!

Balance IT® Supplements are a line of all-in-one patent pending supplements specifically designed to make the preparation of foods for dogs and cats easier and less expensive.

Balance IT® canine

Guaranteed Analysis
Amount per Black Scoop (4.4 g):
moisture % 5.00
tryptophan g 0.063
calcium g 0.561
phosphorus g 0.351
potassium g 0.444
sodium g 0.045
chloride g 0.073
magnesium g 0.035
iron mg 7.239
copper mg 0.666
manganese mg 0.458
zinc mg 10.69
iodine mg 0.148
selenium mg 0.016
vitamin A IU 467.6
vitamin D IU 46.80
vitamin E IU 19.77
thiamine mg 0.114
riboflavin mg 0.260
pantothenic acid mg 0.773
niacin mg 1.073
vitamin B6 mg 0.027
folic acid mg 0.0179
vitamin B12 mg 0.0025
choline mg 107.84
phylloquinone mg 0.0852

*not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

INGREDIENTS: dicalcium phosphate, potassium citrate, powdered cellulose, magnesium sulfate, calcium carbonate, choline bitartrate, sodium bicarbonate, potassium chloride, L-tryptophan, zinc sulfate, d-alpha tocopherol acetate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, phylloquinone sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), vitamin B12 supplement, sodium selenite, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, thiamine mononitrate, cholecalciferol, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), and folic acid.

Balance IT® canine comes with a 5 cc black scoop and a 0.5 cc white scoop and has a net weight of 21.16 ounces (600 grams).

wavewave
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Sep 13, '09 10:13am PST 
Even canned dog food doesn't need all those supplements. Phosphorus is totally unnecessary. 18 things added to By Nature cans 26 to Balance It? I only need to add some minerals and that elusive vitamin E to Sassy's food. You would be over supplementing phosphorus and vitamin A at the very least. But too much vitamin B isn't a bad thing.

Probably overpriced but you would feel really safe using it, right? And the specially designed just for YOU thing isn't really that. Just weight and age, you really aren't that special. I think if Sassy was healthy she would be getting about 10 grams a day so the bottle would last 2 months or so for $33. Course I have NO idea how much the supplements I give actually cost, sort of afraid to check. And you still need to add the Omega 3 to the diet.

Overall it looks like a thoughtfully designed product that really isn't necessary if you do the grunt work yourself. I am off my feet with a sore knee, will try to enter it into ND as a custom food and see what it does to my non supplemented food.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Sep 13, '09 11:00am PST 
Well, didn't work for Sassy. Couldn't get the phosphorus low enough for HER. And way too much vitamin A although I don't think plant vitamin A precursors are toxic it still doesn't look good on the chart, I just worry. I suppose I could fiddle with it to get the magnesium, copper, folate, vitamin 12, selenium higher but that sort of misses the point. I know if they formulated a menu for her they would add in bits and pieces to make it work. But I can do all that myself so I won't. I have 6 ounces cooked chicken and skin, 2 ounces banana, 2 ounces pumpkin and 2 ounces raw rice down in tracking. Too low in calories for her at this point as well. I put in one scoop of Balance It, a healthy dog would get 2 for her size I would think THEN those minerals would be just fine.

It sure cost a lot but would give a lot of peace of mind if you don't mind using powders instead of fresh foods.

Bugs me that phosphorus is in the mix. If you use enough meat you don't need to add it.

Here is a short discussion on this supplement from the excellent email group K9Nutrition.
http://onibasu.com/archives/kn/182902.html
[notify]

Buddy and Sadie

Barked: Sun Sep 13, '09 11:27am PST 
Hi Sassy! You are amazing! When are you writing your first Nutrition for Dogs book? Sign me up, I'll take a copy! wave
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Sep 13, '09 3:56pm PST 
Thanks but I am just writing all of this over and over to get it straight in my mind. Every so often something new sticks but mostly I just rely on ND and dogaware and that wonderful archive at Onibasu.
[notify]
H&E A- Pair-A-Dox

Double- Trouble/Double- Love

Barked: Mon Sep 14, '09 4:01am PST 
We agree with Buddy & Sadie..... Sassy.....sign us up for your bookhailhailhailhailhailhailhailhailhail
[notify]
Buddy and Sadie

Barked: Mon Sep 14, '09 7:58am PST 
Hi Pair-A-Dox (cute name) wave

We'll have her sign it, too, and a paw print from Sassy! BOL! applause
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Sep 14, '09 9:03am PST 
Oh you guys are so silly! Thanks. Print out Dogaware, now that is excellent!
[notify]
♥M ♥

Missy MooMoo

Barked: Mon Sep 14, '09 12:12pm PST 
I've used it since Sept '08, so exactly one year for Magpie only. The others get some when I make a fresh batch. It sounds like you might not want to go this route but if you have any questions feel free to send me a msg and I'll answer any questions I can.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Sep 14, '09 5:49pm PST 
I would consider a whole-foods supplement like Missing Link, where the nutrients come from natural sources. I really never understood supplementing commercial or home cooked diets with fake vitamins/more fake vitamins (in the case of kibbled/canned diets).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2